Photo

Auto Exposure Compensation Vs. Flash Exposure Compensation

Auto Exposure Compensation Flash Exposure Compensation Canon Yongnuo Speedlite YN600EX-RT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | A, Canon <br />EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 70D

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

I just bought a Yongnuo YN600EX-RT Speedlite for my Canon 5D Mark III. I have it mounted on camera on the hot shoe.

When I change the auto exposure compensation on the camera, it does not automatically adjust the flash exposure compensation on the flash to match (or vice versa--when I change FEC on the flash it does not automatically adjust the camera AEC to match.

Shouldn't the AEC and FEC settings be synchronized? It doesn't seem logical to me that they would not be in sync. If the AEC and FEC were not identical, how would I interpret the impact of the different adjustments being made? I am brand new to flash photography and perhaps there is something I don't understand.

I would be eternally grateful for any help. Thanks!

#2 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

I wouldn't expect them to be synchronized, takes too much control away...I use Nikon (certainly not an expert) but I never use exposure compensation when using flash, I adjust the flash power to what I need for the shot (either flash power adjustment or using diffusers / bounce etc.)  I too use a Yongnuo speed light (568 EX), works really good, but IMHO Nikon is best with Nikon and Canon is best with Canon, costs a bit more but can save a few headaches  :D

#3 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | A, Canon <br />EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 Di

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply. I think you're right that I should just use the flash in manual mode and add the amount of light I need per my best judgment. All I want is a little fill.

What has me confused is trying to use the flash in ETTR mode with the camera in aperture priority mode. If the flash is metering for the correct amount of light, one would think there is communication back to the body so it can choose an appropriate shutter speed (unless the camera body also takes a meter reading for its own purposes). How would it work the flash is in auto mode and the camera is in a partially auto mode and both are trying to make decisions about the exposure (and compensation) simultaneously?

#4 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

https://www.learn.us..._QuickGuide.pdf

Good questions...this may be of some help.

#5 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

Thank you again! I look forward to giving this a read.
This kind of explains...https://www.dpreview...s/post/27241316
  • elcab18 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Auto Exposure Compensation, Flash Exposure Compensation, Canon, Yongnuo, Speedlite, YN600EX-RT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users