• Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

Been very wet and grey for too long thus when I noticed a  colourful sky I dug out my camera and set out to try to capture something of it in a rush knowing the light was changing FAST and I do not manage fast action too well...

First and second pics have the same settings though in the time between the two I set up my flash gun for hand held remote operation in an attempt to brighten up the foreground which did not work out too well...  tripod mounted D800   Nikkor 70-200 @70mm   f11  1/3  sec  ISO 100

Third pic tripod mounted D800 Nikkor 16-35 @ 35mm  f11 1/5 sec  ISO 100

NO PP other than cropping. With PP skills I could have perhaps improved on them greatly..?

CC welcomed.

Attached Files

#2 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Beautiful setting to watch the sun go down (or come up), I like the composition but....you said it yourself, PP would improve them dramatically.  Remember it's no different than developing film in the dark ages, those that took their film to a local shop for development got so so results {but usually didn't care), those that understood darkroom developing and could do it themselves got much better results, nice to see a post from you! At the very least try one of the settings on your gear.

#3 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

Geedee,
The third is my favorite. The first two could become my favorites if, like you said, you had played up the contrast in the clouds in PP. Lots of details there and nice colors in the foreground too. All the color and details seem to get lost in those first two.
Great that you got out there in time to witness the beauty!
Thanks!!!

#4 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:46 AM

As they said, PP is the way to go, Geedee ;)

The third one works for me because it has the most contract in the sky.  The first two have the detail in there but need a boost.

What would be really cool would be a series of photos all in the same format from the same location, documenting the changing sky.

The possibility of an animated GIF then raises its head.

B)

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

Many thanks for taking the time to comment guys, really much appreciated.

Doug, I do indeed need to try to get more into PP processes. I am no photographer, just a guy with some good quality camera gear trying to improve my usage thereof, thinking that the foundation was to get it in-camera using manual settings which I would be the first to admit I still get wrong perhaps more often than I get it right. My first SLR was a Cannon AE1 (film) which was used as no more than point and shoot device bought in search of improved quality pics than those which my Instamatic provided and to remove the parallax error which ever frustrated me when trying to frame things up accurately. "Progression" into digital with a Nikon e990,  followed up with the Nikon D70s again more used as a point and shoot device, way too many other pressures and limited resources to try to get INTO photography, though in the very recent past those pressures (that we all face(-:) have reduced to the extent that I hope to have more free time and use it to improve the quality of the pics I take with the hope I might capture something thought worth hanging on my wall.. PP is a acknowledged by me as a vital part of the photographic process, just that it is something more to learn and remember at a time when memory is not great, but I have high hopes...(-:

My 16-35 was back from Nikon after being cleaned relative to what may have been fungal issues but I was beginning to suspect there was still a lack of clarity with other lenses in use though the lenses looked clean and clear... Had noted sensor dust though if there was anything more I wanted to try to clean the sensor with something stronger than something just designed to remove dust so went for one of the kits that can remove oil spots in the hope if there was something other than dust the "chemical" in the kit might do the job....  Still got detritus in the viewfinder though it seems like the cleaning attempt may have improved things, or at least caused no damage.. (-:

The pics were a bit of a test for the above processes... Mark, glad you thought there was something of interest in the pics to the extent you had a favourite..(-:   As I typed after days of grey it was great to see some colour in the sky thus the pics for ME were all about the sky though I wanted something in the foreground that might provide marginal interest and not take anything away from the colours in the clouds. In the first two there is colour in the planting thought to try to brighten it up just a little with the use of a remote flash given it was getting darker by the minute. those pics were taken facing south, (sunset North West) the last of the three was facing North West the sun having dropped behind the hills thus there was far more light in the sky in that pic, again for the same reasons the foreground was not intended to be greatly detailed.

Rod, behave yourself.... (-:  effing animated GIF..!!!   I am lucky to manage to capture it in camera let alone manipulate the pics in software ...

These pics are all reduced size JPEGs (for posting here) though I have them all in RAW files. Sure, had I the PP skill I suspect using layers (?) I could have brightened up the foreground to daylight values or thereabouts to provide more detail and colour which may just have made this a more generally acceptable pic, but it all worked out well enough for me in that it induced me to give it a go and hopefully get some comment on my effort... Thanks again guys.   

#6 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

geedee,

I like the third best, however what do you think of cropping out the upper third? I don't think that part of the sky is adding anything.

I would definitely spend time with learning PP. Since you are shooting RAW there is is much data you can coax out of your photos. I like ON1 Photo 2017.

Bob

#7 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

It is a beautiful sky and you captured it well. Nothing I can add to the pp discussion except that RAW is not actually intended to be used straight out of the camera. It is an information platform that allows you to collect and transfer information to the processing platform. You would actually get a more polished image shooting jpeg if you are not going to pp at all. 

#8 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,346 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

Bob, think you are correct re cropping the top third, thanks. I do agree that learning PP is a must.

John, pleased that you thought the sky was worth capturing, 50 shades of grey is the more usual sky colouring hereabouts..(-: Having dual slots in my D800, I have selected to capture both a RAW and JPEG of every scene in the off chance I get lucky..(-:  JPEGs made sharing easier with friends and family etc though as technology advances that may be less relevant these days.    

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users