• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Many of you may already have seen this product and, indeed, if you have I'd love to get some feedback on your experience.  I am considering purchasing one (maybe two) for use in lighting foregrounds when shooting nightscapes.  But I can see where they'd be fantastic for, say, macro photography in low light conditions.  They look amazing - 1500 lumens with ten possible settings that sits in the palm of your hand (1 ½" square!)  They also have many nifty add-ons, including a tiny little case onto which can be added a variety of filters and gels.  Plus the whole thing is water proof to 100 feet.  They have a variety of compatible stands including a little ball head mount for full adjustability.  Powerful, portable take-anywhere lighting.  The catch - they are pricey.  If anyone has feedback on this product I'd sure like to hear before I shell out.

https://www.lumecube.com/shop/

• Powerdook likes this

#2 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

I picked one up about 2 weeks ago after seeing a video on it by Hudson Henry. http://www.hudsonhen...be-video-review It is VERY bright at its highest setting. Very versatile - 10 brighness settings, built in thread for tripod or ball head mounting, waterproof, etc. Solidly built.

I am going to pick up some orange gel film from Amazon. https://www.amazon.c...d=2VA38XSPDCZSD. Hudson says that will correct the LED light to tungsten for indoor use. He just uses two small pieces of gaffers tape to hold a small piece of the gel over the lamp.

I have not had a lot of time with it yet, but it will be useful for indoor and macro photography. For macro, with the camera on a tripod one can just hand hold the LumeCube and position it as required. Or use a second tripod if you have one.

Bob

#3 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Why would you choose this over a flash?

#4 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

For me, mainly because I don't have a flash unit :) and I saw the LumeCube as just a device to add a bit more lighting, especially for macro shots.

Bob

• geedee likes this

#5 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm thinking about it particularly for shooting nightscapes - Milky Way, star trails etc. - where I would combine a stacked set for the night sky, blended with a lit foreground where I could use a lower ISO setting and different focus and focal length settings.  A flash would look pretty awful, in my opinion, and I'm not particularly fond of the look you get with light painting.  Like Bob suggests, this looks like it would give me some of the versatility of studio lighting in the middle of nowhere.  At least, that's what I'm hoping.

I picked one up about 2 weeks ago after seeing a video on it by Hudson Henry. http://www.hudsonhen...be-video-review It is VERY bright at its highest setting. Very versatile - 10 brighness settings, built in thread for tripod or ball head mounting, waterproof, etc. Solidly built.

I am going to pick up some orange gel film from Amazon. https://www.amazon.c...d=2VA38XSPDCZSD. Hudson says that will correct the LED light to tungsten for indoor use. He just uses two small pieces of gaffers tape to hold a small piece of the gel over the lamp.

I have not had a lot of time with it yet, but it will be useful for indoor and macro photography. For macro, with the camera on a tripod one can just hand hold the LumeCube and position it as required. Or use a second tripod if you have one.

Bob

Bob, if you go into their site you'll see that LumeCube now has a nifty little enclosure case that you can attach a variety of magnetized gels and diffusers.  Looks pretty cool.  If I pick one of these up I'd want that because the white light is just too harsh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users