• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

Well I took the shot when it was autumn anyway. It's winter now... 

Ok so I've struggled with getting interesting angles and getting a focal point in landscape photography. I did spend some time thinking about this one. I wanted to bring out the decline in the landscape, the colours of the leaves, and I think at the time I tried not to include the log-seat things but I couldnt work out how to capture the shape of the land without them as I'd be too close. So.. I'm hoping that somehow it works?

I'm hoping the eye is first drawn to the big orange tree to the right, and then flows to the rest. But I have found that I struggle with leading the eye in my photographs, I'll leave you guys to be the judge of it.

cc4

f/7.1, iso 200, 1/400 with kit lens @14mm (28mm equiv)

p.s. (edit) This is embarrassing. The image didnt upload properly :( I've reloaded the page heaps and even tried another browser! So for now, below is the link to the image on my google photos. I'll try to re-upload it directly tomorrow, sorry!! 

#2 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Hello Elena.

Its a pain when it happens.

I don't for the life of me know whether its on the server side or the client side.

I try logging out and in, restarting the browser, rebooting the PC and just plain waiting an hour.  All with varying success.

#3 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

There are some nice things about this photograph.  The colour is great and you shot at a good time of day to get the nice shadows and textures in that little valley.  There is something odd about the leaves in the tree on the right, they seem to be out of focus but the log/seats in the foreground are more or less in focus so I can only assume that it was quite a windy day in which case shooting even faster might have been a better choice (unless the effect of the leaves in the trees was your intention.)  But then again it may be because of the depth of field.  This is a shot where I probably would have gone for f/11 or even f/16 to get more depth of field.  The composition is a bit problematic for the reasons you've already stated.  I find the log/seat distracting and almost blocks my eye from going where I think you want to take me.  You might have had more luck shooting from further to the left of the image maybe even over to the roadway on the left and shooting down the hill.  Shooting either down the hill or up the hill would allow you to use the shadows as leading lines.  What was your point of focus?   It literally looks like it is the small tree to the left of the biggest one.  Anyway I hope this is useful and definitely keep shooting.

#4 elenat

elenat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

Yeah I wasn't quite sure what went wrong with those leaves.. It may have been a breeze I'm not sure.
And since I wanted to capture the scene, I think my point of focus would have been those orange trees. But like I mentioned I don't know how to select a point of focus in a landscape image which makes my composition really difficult :( thanks for the ideas! Guess I just need to think a lot more for these kind of photos.
How do you guys select a point of focus? When I do landscape, to me everything is a point of interest. It's hard to select a point and then compose things around it

#5 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hello Elena

There are lots of free apps like Focus Assistant Pro to name but one, that are hyperfocal distance calculators.

Basically, you punch in your camera type, lens details and it calculates the closest distance where you can focus the lens and still have everything from that point to infinity still in focus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users