6 replies to this topic

#1 Argolich

Argolich

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWashington, Utah
  • Lenses:Sigma 20 mm 1.4 Prime. Nikon 18-300. Nikon 35 mm 1.8 - Looking to expand
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 700
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D810. Nikon D7200

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hello Stunners!

I have been cleaning my own sensor using several very good products for some time.  I shoot a Nikon D810.  I have moved to SW Utah which is much more dustier than my old stomping grounds and I find myself having to clean out the sensor area a lot more.  That is not a super issue - However, I am seeing black smudges and what looks to be dust motes either on the mirror or the reflector/pentaprism and while they don't show up on my photos, looking through the view finder at them is a real bother and makes it much harder to tell if the sensor itself is dirty.  So- My question to anyone smarter and more knowledgeable that myself is:   What is the best way to remove smudges and dust from the mirror?  The tools I use for the sensor don't seem to be suited for that type of work.  Are their any thoughts or suggestions from the pro's out there?  

I am truly grateful for any suggestions or tips you might provide!!

TIA

Tom

#2 Argolich

Argolich

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma 20 mm 1.4 Prime. Nikon 18-300. Nikon 35 mm 1.8 - Looking to expand

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Wow.  This is the first time I've posted a question and not had a single reply or suggestion in nearly a week.     :-(

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:22 AM

Argolich  Unfortunately seems there is no one smarter or more knowledgeable than your self or a pro out there who has the experience that you seek, which is unfortunate..(-:  

I sure would not claim to be smarter though have a similar issue with my D800, which is entirely down to me in that I dropped my camera and Nikkor 16-35 f4 in a freshwater lake from a canoe... it is a long story but it came back to life after a period of drying out that was circa three years ago and it is still working fine..!!  However I have similar dots in the viewfinder and only recently found the lens fitted to the camera when it went for a swim had a growth (?) on one of the internal elements... Nikon cleaned that out. though I have now picked up a couple of small dots on my sensor.... What to do..?  Checked the interweb and there are Youtube vids a plenty, from which I have decided to have a go myself, so bought a Visible Dust Plus sensor cleaning kit... and a Jumbo blower bulb. As yet I have not tried the process as I am waiting for a cloudless sky that will last long enough for me to take a pic, have a go at cleaning the sensor,mirror and pentaprism  and take a second pic of the scene and compare to see if I have improved the situation or just made it worse...  So for the time being the weather is in control of the situation.

That is my list of excuses for not replying to your post...(-:

#4 bad_gray_wolf

bad_gray_wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon 17-40 f/4L,
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon 10-18 IS STM
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Sigma 120-300 f/2.8,
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:.
    Sigma 500 dg super * 2
    Yongnuo yn-14ex ring fl
    Vivitar 3700
    White-Lightning x1600 * 2
    White-Lightning x800
    Alien-Bee abr800 ring flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS xti
    Canon EOS 20d
    Sony NEX 5R
    GoPro Hero2
    Canon SX280HS

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

danger! 

clean the sensor with a blower and swab.

blow off the mirror, don't physically touch it. the mirror coating in on top of the glass without protection and is very easily damaged.

I accidentally touched the ground glass in my 5d with a cotton swab and it s now permanently damaged with dark streaks, 80$ to self replace the part if I get annoyed enough with it.

bad_gray_wolf formerly known as PeterPP

but the old id managed to get locked out months ago and I finally managed to get back on with a new name.

Peter

It is all about the light and your ability to sculpt it!

Equipment is just a secondary nuisance (but I wants it all, my precious.)

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

Peter, sorry to read of your  temporary excommunication and that of others, all of which is confusing for a self imposed internet selective Luddite... Glad to have you back.

Thanks for the warning and sharing your experience. In my case I feel most fortunate that my camera returned to working order in ANY way, let alone to seemingly full operation and continue in that manner for the last three years.

That the 16-35mm lens also suffered the same fate and I remember well watching the water drain out of it and the camera when both were parted...and it too worked just fine over the same time period... I found quite amazing.

That the lens is THE lens left on the camera most of the time and that around May this year the lens appeared to fog up on one of it`s internal elements, I wondered if the sensor or other aspects of the camera`s image presentation capabilities may have a measure of whatever pox affected the lens, given that only in very recent times I think I may have detected some issues...?

So with all the above if the worst comes to the worst I have had the camera for a period of three years that I would not have expected and what value a D800 compared to the possible overhaul costs, I think it is worth a gamble with the cleaning kit for ME.  If I screw up, I may wish I had thought differently...(-:

Thanks again for your input Peter.

#6 Argolich

Argolich

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Peter and geedee.  I've been cleaning my sensors for a few  years now to save on the cost of having to send it away.  There are good products out there and plenty of online tutorials how to use them.  I live in the desert of SW Utah so it was inevitable I think that dust would cause me problems.  At some point it got onto the mirror and I attempted to gently clean it but left a dark streak on the mirror which may or may not be a smudge or damage to the actual coating on the mirror.  It does not appear on the images, just observed through the view finder - but it does make it more difficult to try and clean the sensor.  It is also a bit annoying looking through the viewfinder at it.  I am interested Peter in what you said at the end.  $80 to self replace if you get tired of it.  Is it an easy process to replace that mirror or is it more practical to send it off to Nikon (for instance) if it becomes to much of a hassle?   Thanks folks for replying.

Tom

#7 bad_gray_wolf

bad_gray_wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
  • Lenses:.
    Canon 17-40 f/4L,
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon 10-18 IS STM
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
    Sigma 120-300 f/2.8,
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Bower 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
    Sony 18-55
  • Flashes:.
    Sigma 500 dg super * 2
    Yongnuo yn-14ex ring fl
    Vivitar 3700
    White-Lightning x1600 * 2
    White-Lightning x800
    Alien-Bee abr800 ring flash
  • Camera Body or Bodies:.
    Canon EOS 7d mkii
    Canon EOS 5d mkii
    Canon EOS xti
    Canon EOS 20d
    Sony NEX 5R
    GoPro Hero2
    Canon SX280HS

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hi Tom,
I touched and damaged the ground glass in my camera, it sits just in front of the pentaprism.
On the older 5d I have it is a user changeable part you can switch out for different view finder options.
Small bit of expensive fragile glass,
but is not difficult to replace with the tool canon gives you when you buy one of the optional replacement.

On newer cameras it is no longer replaceable as they now use digital display overlays in the viewfinder.

I suspect a mirror fix may need a visit to the Nikon repair facility.

Peter

It is all about the light and your ability to sculpt it!

Equipment is just a secondary nuisance (but I wants it all, my precious.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users