• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

After days of paddling under overcast skies and rain we came upon this narrow stretch of river with high grasses on either side.  The breeze was blowing lightly and the sky began to open up.  As the low sun finally broke through, the grasses seemed to glow.  That’s what I tried to capture.  CC most welcome. 

Fuji Xt-1, ISO 200, 70 mm, f/20, 1/80 sec.  What I learned from this shot and will try and remember in the future is that when there is a breeze I would do best to shoot at a higher shutter speed. 

Attached File  High-grass-on-Lower-Goose-(Lake)-1200.jpg   1.36MB   1 downloads

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:23 PM

Nice, I can see what attracted you to get the camera out.. 

It is often not until I get the images on the PC that I see where I went wrong.. Sigh! Though it seems obvious that I should zoom in to the image on the camera`s LCD at the time of capture to provide the opportunity to spot errors and sort my settings out there and then and not wait till I get to the PC to find out where I went wrong.....

#3 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:48 PM

Nice, I can see what attracted you to get the camera out.. 

It is often not until I get the images on the PC that I see where I went wrong.. Sigh! Though it seems obvious that I should zoom in to the image on the camera`s LCD at the time of capture to provide the opportunity to spot errors and sort my settings out there and then and not wait till I get to the PC to find out where I went wrong.....

Well that's true to a certain extent.  But for me, certainly in this case, I didn't have the luxury of checking to see if I'd got it right.  So, again, for me, it is about learning lessons and remembering them so that I begin to instinctively know what setting I need in the moment.  A lot of times we only get one crack at a shot before the light changes or we're drifting down river.  Knowing and understanding my camera is definitely a learning curve.  Last summer was my very first experience with a "real" camera since I was in my early twenties and believe me, that was a loooonnng time ago ;>)

#4 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Kerry,
I see curves first, and then the lighting. The symmetry and curved lines I like that a lot. The way they form the arc right through the middle of the image from air thru water reflection looks good to to me.
Then the yellow pink clouds and sky...very pretty and also reflected.
Cool image!

#5 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

I like it Kerry, the slower shutter speed works great for me, even slower would be (maybe) even better, not sure since it's so close up.

#6 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Kerry,
I see curves first, and then the lighting. The symmetry and curved lines I like that a lot. The way they form the arc right through the middle of the image from air thru water reflection looks good to to me.
Then the yellow pink clouds and sky...very pretty and also reflected.
Cool image!

Thanks Mark.  The way the grass and its reflection forms arcing lines was a very pleasant surprise - it really makes the image.  I noticed it right away and I'm glad you did too.

I like it Kerry, the slower shutter speed works great for me, even slower would be (maybe) even better, not sure since it's so close up.

Thanks Doug.  At 1/80 sec it came out surprisingly sharp.  The lens I used has auto stabilization and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. 

#7 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,061 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

Learning lessons and remembering them....  I have been messing with camera`s on and off mostly creating a record of this and that for circa 50 years, and last night I tried to photograph a scene with a mixture of elements that seemed to have enough interest to create a pleasing pic.  Was on 100 ISO when I should have been on auto ISO was on pattern metering when I should have been on spot and as the subject was backlit with more background than subject... underexposure of important elements was the result.. Yup, if only I had taken time to apply some more of that which I should have learned by now...hmm.  Guess more than anything else I need to be using my gear FAR more often in the hope that I make far fewer mistakes..?

f8  1/125   ISO 100   tripod mounted Tamron 150-600 @ 380mm...

Some mistakes can by good fortune create pleasing images though not in this case.

Attached Files

#8 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,524 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

Nice, Kerry.

I do like the ripples on the water and the sense of movement given by the reeds and sky.

I had a very quick play with it.  It doesn't look too bad in b&w.  Brings out the shapes.

Nice lookin' horse, Geedee.  Should I put me shirt on it ? ;)

Plenty of options there to pull out shadow detail if you were shooting RAAW

#9 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Learning lessons and remembering them....  I have been messing with camera`s on and off mostly creating a record of this and that for circa 50 years, and last night I tried to photograph a scene with a mixture of elements that seemed to have enough interest to create a pleasing pic.  Was on 100 ISO when I should have been on auto ISO was on pattern metering when I should have been on spot and as the subject was backlit with more background than subject... underexposure of important elements was the result.. Yup, if only I had taken time to apply some more of that which I should have learned by now...hmm.  Guess more than anything else I need to be using my gear FAR more often in the hope that I make far fewer mistakes..?

f8  1/125   ISO 100   tripod mounted Tamron 150-600 @ 380mm...

Some mistakes can by good fortune create pleasing images though not in this case.

Hey Geedee - there are problems with your photograph (the wires and orange posts are certainly distracting) but, honestly, in the digital age you don't have to worry so much about exposure.  In your picture, even though the horse is underexposed, I can see that there is plenty of detail.  With today's cameras and post processing you easily have a full stop either way to work with as long as you have some familiarity with even a basic PP program like Lr.  As Rod said, shoot RAW. 

#10 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,061 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

Rod the horses hereabouts don`t wear shirts...!!!!  (-: All my pics are captured in RAW and JPEG... and they are still very disappointing ..! 

Kerry, many thanks for taking the time to consider my poor attempt to capture a worthwhile pic. I did wonder whether it was reasonable to post it in your thread, given the linkage is a tad loose.

Yup the electric fence is a distraction for sure though I was not seeking to create a work of art, more trying to capture a record of the field in buttercups and it`s usage, though with a horse in the frame it should have been captured better...  The pic is also soft there was a wind blowing and with the hood on the lens extended at 380mm on a cheap tripod I knew I was up against it, and made it tougher by not paying as much attention as I should to the settings...

I can make minimal use of Photoshop Elements though understand that it is limited compared to the facilities in other PP programmes, I really need to overcome my resistance to taking on ever more digital fiddling, increasingly difficult for an ageing and essentially analogue animal...(-:    

#11 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

It like it Kerry. Looks like beautiful light. The reflection and full clouds add to the image. I wish I could see a bit more of the space behind the reeds. 

#12 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

It like it Kerry. Looks like beautiful light. The reflection and full clouds add to the image. I wish I could see a bit more of the space behind the reeds. 

Thanks John.  I did another version of this where I brought up the shadows and the highlights a bit more (if that's what you mean by seeing the space behind the reeds) just to give it a bit more depth and accentuate the glow.  I think it's better but really a pretty subtle change.  Here's the two versions side by side (the bottom one has the deepened shadows and pushed highlights:

Attached File  High-grass-on-Lower-Goose-(Lake)-1200.jpg   1.36MB   0 downloads

Attached File  High-Grass-3.jpg   1.41MB   0 downloads

#13 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

Just a neat shot!!

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#14 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Just a neat shot!!