4 replies to this topic

#1 MrWild

MrWild

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Lenses:Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens - for sale

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens
    DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR Lens
    Nikon AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D Lens
    Nikon AF-S TC-14E III 1.4x
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
  • Flashes:Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash for Olympus/Panasonic/Leica Cameras - for sale

Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod with Induro GHB1 Gimbal Head
    Oben CT-3461 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with BE-117T Ball Head
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

This is my first attempt. I will have a macro lens on Friday, but I am just starting in photography nevermind Macro :-o  

Butterfly

D500 with 200-500 f/5.6

1/1000 sec ISO 5600 f/5.6 0EV

Flower

D500 with 200-500 f/5.6

1/20 sec ISO 320 f/6.3 +1 EV 

To get more of the flower in focus I am guessing higher F stop like 22 and then decrease shutter speed to 1/2 (about) sec and stick it on a tripod to keep the ISO down and eliminate camera blur? 

Attached Files

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

I have tried out a few Macro pics, thus am NO expert... I might think of your pics as close-up as opposed to macro, once you either start using extension tubes or your new macro lens you will perhaps discover the difference between getting close with non macro kit and that which you can capture in true macro.

I suspect that with macro kit you will also discover just how shallow a DOF is available when you begin to get in really close.

Seems like in your moth pic that you cropped it perhaps a bit too tight to the wings though you managed to get detail on the eye, though due to the backlighting and  that the wings seem dense there is little detail captured in the body or wings.... Sure with PP skills some of that could be improved upon..  It is difficult to photograph dark subjects in locations where there is brightness in other areas of the scene, which is where you discover the limitations of a camera`s dynamic range compared to that of  your eye, though you did well enough given the "balance" you achieved between the bright head of the flower and the dark of the wings.   

I note you included free space in the direction the insect is facing which seems to work well in most wildlife pics as it does in this one. 

The flower pic provides pleasing shapes if perhaps cropped a little tight with not a lot in focus or perhaps more likely camera shake. I tend to fail miserably hand held when following the reciprocal rule (shutter speed equivalent to lens focal length in mm) even with the advantage of VR on some of my lenses... Whereas some folk can be rock steady.

Interesting pics, thanks for posting. 

#3 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

Your photos are very nicely executed, but as geedee suggested, they are not truly macro shots. I think you will enjoy the macro lens. Which one did you buy? I really enjoy flower macro shooting. I am soon to pull the trigger on a 90mm macro to replace my 40mm one. It will give me a little more distance from my subjects. The 40mm can be tough. I chalked it up to a learning process! I sold it back to B&H.

My experience has been that a tripod is necessary (at least for me) for macro to avoid blur and you will find yourself using very small (high f stop number) apertures to get the DOF you want. That is another reason for the tripod, with apertures in the f22 range you are not letting in a lot of light so your shutter speed may be long for hand holding at a low ISO. With outdoor flower photography your biggest enemy may be the breeze :) . And overcast days provide excellent soft lighting.

I see you have a NIKKOR 16-80mm lens. How do you like it? I bought one for my D7100 a few months ago to replace the kit lens and it is now always on my camera. Very happy with it as my everyday lens.

Bob

#4 MrWild

MrWild

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Lenses:Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens - for sale

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens
    DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR Lens
    Nikon AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D Lens
    Nikon AF-S TC-14E III 1.4x
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
  • Flashes:Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash for Olympus/Panasonic/Leica Cameras - for sale

Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod with Induro GHB1 Gimbal Head
    Oben CT-3461 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with BE-117T Ball Head
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

Thank you Geedee and Bob,

I have not used my 16-80 lens yet. It came as an option upgrade with the camera body. It does seem well made though. Sorry  :wacko:     I will be getting the https://www.bhphotov...0mm_f_2.8D_Lens on friday and I am debating whether to jump right into the extenders    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html   or to just learn with camera and lens first. I also purchased this cheap ring light..   https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226653-REG/Universal_Macro_LED_Ring_Flash 

~ Edward 

#5 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

Nice shots!  Personally, I don't like "true" macro; my shots are mostly close-ups.  I also like natural light as opposed to a ring flash.  It's all a matter of preference as to what you want to achieve as a photographer.  Give them all a try and realize that people have differing tastes; not everyone likes everything.  I think it's about expression.  Whatever you like, have at it.  I wouldn't sweat the "true" macro label; just post them as "close-ups", and you avoid the semantic argument.  I guess that makes me "anti-semantic" :huh: .  Shoot away Edward!

• MrWild likes this

Jonny

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH5 WIldlife D500 Wildlife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users