• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ldetorres

ldetorres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hi guys! I'm new to photography and wondering how improve the lighting in my photos with manual settings. Any suggestions? Here are a few of my photos.

Attached Files

#2 deanna

deanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

First off, great photos! I am really into nature photography as well. Maybe you can experiment with ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed and look up the Exposure Triangle. That might help.

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:00 AM

Welcome to the forum.  There will ever be issues where you have subjects that are both in shadow and brightly lit as this pushes the camera`s capability to capture the variation of light across the scene, known as the dynamic range. Unfortunately the camera can not match the dynamic range of your eye thus it is best to learn how to help your camera overcome it`s limitations.

Sure you will have seen wonderful images where light and shadow are skilfully combined though initially perhaps if you try capturing the flowers in shadow in a separate image from those in brighter light... You may then pick up on the likelihood that there is interesting variations of light on the blooms in both the now separated light and darker scenes...?

Given all that is available in PP (Post Production) software it is possible to merge two or more photographs of the same subject, one exposed for the light areas of the scene, and an other exposed for the dark areas of the scene... thus creating an image with great detail in both the formerly light and dark areas together...

Hope you have an enjoyable time with your camera discovering the many variables in photography..

#4 David_MC

David_MC

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
    Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC USD
  • Flashes:Canon 430EXII
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 7D

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

Welcome to the forum. 

To add on to what geedee said, you can also try to do flower shots on a cloudy day when the light is diffused and not as harsh,  you can also get a diffuser that you or someone else could hold why you take a picture of the flowers.  If you go the diffuser route you may want to invest in a tripod and shutter release (remote) for your camera as it will simplify the whole process.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users