• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deanna

deanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and was wondering if any of you had any advice for newbie photographers. Any tips and tricks? Any advice for ensuring the best lighting? 

I have attached a few examples of my own photography. I've been really into nature photography and was wondering if any of you had ideas for how I can continue to grow as a photographer. 

Thanks!

Attached File  IMG_2532.JPG   59.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  photo8.JPG   86.55KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2551.JPG   58.79KB   0 downloads

#2 ldetorres

ldetorres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

I think the easiest way to improve your lighting is by shooting in the early morning or before sunset. The middle of the say can be tough to photograph because your subject is usually in harsh lighting. Hope that helps!

• deanna likes this

#3 auprice

auprice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Wow this looks really good!

• deanna likes this

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

I do a lot of landscape stuff.  For that, a good tripod, a remote release, a polarizing filter, a couple of ND filters and you're on your way.  The filters aren't mandatory, but they give you a lot of options.  But the tripod and remote release make landscape photography so much more pleasant.

You can shoot landscapes with just about any lens, but just about all of mine is done with a 16-35 zoom lens on a full frame camera.  And you'll find that most landscapes are shot with wide angle primes or zooms.

Heck, it's only money! :-)

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,231 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:31 AM

I suspect in nature you have to work with the lighting you have got unless you introduce flash or you pick the time of day/type of weather that suits your subject best.  I like your pics. If you look at them again the rose seems not as nice as the others and much of that would seem to be down to the wide variation of light on the subject (dynamic range)  It seems that overcast days perhaps provide a more even lighting  similar to your other two pics... Of course you can brighten up or darken the overall lighting in elementary software if you feel you have underexposed or overexposed your images.  When deciding upon a floral subject it might be best to pick a bloom that is at it`s best.

I hope you enjoy your photographic journey. 

#6 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

My advice is to get out and take images as much as you possibly can. Learn your camera and experience how different light and camera settings affect the image. Practice, practice, practice. Then post the "best of" here for feedback. Then practice more.

(I don't get out nearly as much as I'm advising, but it is always on my mind)

#7 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Keep shooting!!!  I like the Lily, the first one is very soft, second one has browning petals (not attractive).  Focus and lighting are paramount in shots like these, it's just learning, post your camera settings so we have a better idea of what may be good and what may not be :D with the way you approached the shot(s).

#8 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Not 100% what you were going for in these but great advice given above. Especially about light. The golden hour in photography is before 9:00am and 2 +- hours before sunset. Take advantage of this special lighting, keep the sun at your back with the light on the subject and take lots of shots. Post your best back here along with your settings. Have fun.  

#9 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:59 PM

The most important advice nobody mentioned. Shoot in RAW. Always.

As for those three shots. If they are in RAW:

1. Exposure up +0.75-1. Contrast a little up. Shadows up, highlights down 50-75% (maybe higher, depends on the shot). Whites up and blacks down a little to get the colors shine.
  2. Nothing to do after the shot but to make such a photo better (hard light and shadows) use some diffuser to soften the light.
  3. Again as the first one. Exposure, colors, contrast and so on.

But those are just my opinion. I'm far from any pro or advanced photographer. Just saying what I'd do with those photos :)

#10 marryanderson322

marryanderson322

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

Of course the best way to improve your photography skills is practice. Take as many photos as you can. Analyze your results, find mistakes and try to the. And for sure listen to different opinions. If you also like reading some articles you can read this one. The way of improving your photo-skill is well described here - http://fixthephoto.c...-beginners.html

#11 pthomsen

pthomsen

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHughson, CA
  • Lenses:Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art
    Nikon Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR ED DX
    Nikon AF‑S DX Nikkor 18‑55mm f/3.5‑5.6G VR
  • Flashes:None
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D3100
    Nikon D5500
    iPhone 7 Plus

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

A lot of folks have given excellent advice here. To add my $0.02, I would echo a lot of folks, by saying:

1. Get out and take a lot of pictures! Find the things that you love to photograph, and try different subjects, angles, times of day, lenses (if you have them). Experiment!
  2. Look at other photographers, and find things that you like about their pictures. If at first you are copying their style and technique, that is OK IMO. After you master different styles/techniques, your own style and technique will start to come out. 
  3. If you find that you need more/different equipment, you can try a lot of lenses/bodies/tripods, etc. before you decide to buy, by renting the equipment from places like BorrowLenses, Lumoid, AdoramaRentals, etc. Don't buy before you know you like the lens.
  4. Get out and take a lot of pictures...  ;) Take a trip somewhere, if you're into landscapes/wildlife/sports, and take a lot of pictures (maybe with your rented equipment)

I'm not affiliated with any of the rental places, so I am not trying to sell you on any of them. Look them up in Yelp or the Better Business Bureau...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users