• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

I really struggle with finding the right angle for landscape photography, and then to post process it without over-doing it as well is a whole other task :(  I like the image as a whole but again, I feel it's missing something and that I definitely could have done something differently to make it a more powerful image - both in the field as well as in post processing. 

So please - rip into this because I don't even know what I don't know. (I so need to re-read the landscape section of the SDP book before I head out next)

CC4E 
f/8 1/400 iso 200 @28mm (equiv)

Attached File  _5110203_01.jpg   208.05KB   0 downloads

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

I often see beauty in the countryside that I fail to capture in terms of an interesting photograph for a casual observer.... So what do I know.  I suspect a crop that takes out all to the left other than the interesting rock formations might just accentuate them more...?  I find all the angles of the timber on the skyline to the left distracting as are the people using the stairway.  Think the time of day played a part in washing out a measure of interest that is bound to exist in the rock formations due to the lack of shadow.....?

• elenat likes this

#3 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

This is a really interesting image.  The chaotic geometry of the rocks is mirrored in the railing but I'd like that mirroring to be more of a feature of the photograph.  I think the problem with this image is very similar to what I commented on regarding the bridge photo, namely working with leading lines.  For me, the focus of the photograph is the peak of the promontory highlighted by the flagpole.  The walkway is the perfect device to lead my eye to that focal point.  So I'd want to bring the bridge more centrally into the picture so that my eye can follow it up to the peak.  I might try and get my camera down lower to shoot along the walkway or perhaps the railing.  That would give a more interesting point of view than shooting from a standing position.  I find that is most often the case - that simply pointing my camera and shooting from a standing position doesn't result in a very dynamic image.  You want to get a point of view that most accurately expresses your experience rather than literally what you saw - if you know what I mean. 

• elenat likes this

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

This scene begs to be shot at Sunrise or Sunset.  Lotsa' interesting stuff going on there.

David

• elenat likes this

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#5 elenat

elenat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I definitely should have taken my time and played around with more angles. Next time I'll try not to let my tourist friends rush me along haha (we were hungry). 

But yeah I did notice for sure that the lighting wasn't in my favour. So I tried to at least get some sort of composition right... failed because for landscapes-I usually have no idea what to look for :( But all of your input definitely gave me more of an idea for what to try for next time! 

Thanks again!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users