AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

And finally after guests portraits and drift show it's time for the photos of stationary cars on the show floor.

Equipment used... all of it actually. From 14-24mm, through 50mm and 105mm Macro (for the details) to 70-200mm.

Settings a lot. If you want specific photo settings just ask.

:)

Attached Files

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:45 AM

Interesting subjects in very difficult conditions the highly reflective surfaces, the patterns caused by lighting, distracting backgrounds and of course all the people milling around aimlessly, all working together to make motor shows a real challenge,  outdoors shows only slightly less so... I have never tried a CP and wonder if that might have helped with reflections to some degree though I suspect cutting down on light with it`s use hand held may be an issue. Cloningout distractions would also seem to be a very time consuming process...hmm..? 

For ME, the Merc grill pic works best... many thanks for posting rospondek and reminding me of the many issues involved.

#3 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

I like those light reflections. They look nice on those polished bodies :)

The worst things are:

1. the endlessly wandering without any idea people who usually stick for 15 minutes to the best or most rare cars. That's why cloning out is almost impossible. Not because it is time consuming in post, it is now rather automatic but you have to stay in one place for 30 minutes and more... Without a tripod it is pointless and impossible.
  2. placement of cars on the floor. Most of the times 1m from each other. Hard to take a diagonal view of the whole car.

#4 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,232 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

We all have our own opinions.. fortunately...(-:   I prefer to appreciate the lines of the car with minimal distraction, perhaps one highlight though spots and shapes created by a number of different light sources can at times distract from the beautiful curves on occasion.

as a petrol head in my younger years I attended a few car shows none better that the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) in Birmingham, England which I visited in 2001, and took the posted image. My camera was a Nikon e990 (?) a kinda compact with a split body that provided the ability to twist the half of the body with the LCD on it for overhead or low level framing up of subjects, the latter of which was really handy at car shows and used in this particular pic.

Fortunately the NEC is very professional as were some of the car clubs stands thus the stands were very well laid out some seemingly with photographers in mind.... I took quite a few pics though most were shaky (sigh!) as is ever an issue hand held in "low" light. I suspect if I had it all to do over a monopod might help though with auto ISO these days and better lenses.. hmm  ?

At this particular show I was there for the doors opening thus the number of folk wandering around was limited. I tend to time visits to almost anything with possible crowds in order to minimise crowding, tourist traps go quiet around mealtimes etc, had places like Mont San Michelle almost to myself on one trip.. arriving as the tour busses were leaving in their droves to take the tourists back to their hotels to be fed  etc.etc.etc. (-:     

Attached Files

#5 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Let me quote something

I prefer to appreciate the lines of the car with minimal distraction, perhaps one highlight though spots and shapes created by a number of different light sources can at times distract from the beautiful curves on occasion.

And totally agree with that!

Nothing better than lighten up curves of the body. Actually doesn't matter if we're talking bout the car or the model ;)

Anyway for those photos the placement of the car is crucial. I'll get back to this in a moment. But the most important is the building itself. It has to be designed to allow lights to flow on those lines. But this never happens in random places. Only promotional professional places have this. Long lines of lights or big rectangular lights do that magic.

As for the placement. Take look at those two (plus one before).

Attached File  _DSC4963.jpg   196.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4964.jpg   190.55KB   0 downloads

I was actually trying to get the best from those lights reflections. Believe me or not but I tried to achieve exactly what you like. Reflections on car lines or placed on some nice spaces.

I really thought lights reflected on this blue Audi were looking great. They were symmetrical, on the first look at least, and showed lines. But when I managed to take the photo...

Two things.

First one. I couldn't get the high angle cause of the pole on the left and pretty harsh 'NO' after asking if they can move it a little for a moment... Yes I can clone it out but I actually didn't bother so far...

The second thing. Car was slightly out of place. It should stand 1-2m to the left for lights to be perfectly symmetrical on both sides. You can see no reflections on the right side. And even with this non symmetrical placement the 'main reflection line' in the center was slightly off (you can see that on the Audi sign) but was enough to not allow me to center it without messing the alignment of the whole car in the frame. Hard to explain but when I centered the reflection, I saw the left side of the car, the front was tilted, and so on.

Overall those wasn't bad photos, I really like them, but they are not like I wanted them to be.

Here are a few more of playing with reflections.

Sometimes it was ok.

Attached File  _DSC4925.jpg   921.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4979.jpg   135.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4981.jpg   141.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4982.jpg   113.5KB   0 downloads

And sometimes...

Attached File  _DSC4920.jpg   158.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4932.jpg   1.1MB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4967.jpg   970.75KB   0 downloadsAttached File  _DSC4966.jpg   181.4KB   0 downloads

BMW i8 was awesome. It is really great and attractive car but the placement on the floor... I took 3 shots which were simply awful and I just gave up. I had no idea what to do to actually show the car, not the crowd (one of those cars always surrounded by people) or the hideous reflections and the background.

As for my love Nissan GTR, which was the winner in the tuning contest btw, you can see by yourself. I couldn't even took clear readable photos of those holo stickers on the left side of the hood. Reflections were too distracting. So it finished in the bin :ph34r:

So totally agree with everything you said but at such a shows you can't do a lot if people who are involved in organization of the event won't let you.

Your old-mobile is truly beautiful. Those days in car history were truly amazing. Two of my favorite cars from those days - or all days if I think bout this - are Shelby Cobra '67 (blue&white stripes!) and Ferrari 330 P4 Race Car '67.

God they are beautiful.

#6 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,232 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

Rospondek many thanks for taking the time to allow me to look at the show through your eyes, you have created a considerable body of work in what seems like very restrictive conditions and made the best of it.

The Blue Audi with the squares is MY favourite in this group...

When looking at the close-up`s of car badges unless on a new vehicle there is ever a likelihood that there will be grime or poor quality paintwork surrounding them thus not something that has attracted me greatly. I have attached one pic ( E990) of a badge with an "optional extra" that I captured some years back.(-:

Yup the old XK is a wonderful shape indeed, wish it had been mine..(-:  

Attached Files

#7 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:46 AM

Yup, imperfection on the body is clearly visible on closeups. I didn't even notice it when taking that Ford badge.

I've got one more close up but didn't bother so far to clean it. I love the texture and colors on that silver prancing pony but as you can see, there is something extra...

Attached File  _DSC5014.jpg   238.21KB   0 downloads

Anyway I'm glad you like those shots :)

• geedee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users