• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

I've stared at this picture for far too long, and I don't even know what to fix anymore. I think I've overdone something... and yet something is lacking? 

This is far outside the kind of edit I normally go for (natural) but the original had basically no lighting so I decided to have fun with it to practice bring out some drama in the sky. 

Does it work? What's wrong with it? 

CC4

f/3.5, 1/4000, iso 160 (was using P mode... I know - should have stopped down the f stop) 

Attached Files

#2 MarkM

MarkM

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Hi Elenat
Very dramatic sky indeed. I like it and I also like the touch of blue on the left.
I would have cropped it more on the left, removing the foreground branches altogether, and I'd also remove the rock in the water. Those both are distracting for me.
This looks it could have also been a good candidate for a long exposure to smooth out the water for an alternate look, but overall a nice and moody image!

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

You have captured an interesting image with plenty to look at. It seems to me that the location has a lot of potential though in reality I am not a good judge as I do not have the artistic eye that some folk seem to be blessed with.... Yeah it is interesting though at times less can be more, your pic has me thinking about the using the leading line of the bridge into the area of sky just above the trees that also seems interesting.... So your image caused be to contemplate it`s content.... therefore it works...?  (-:

Yup those sliders are so easy to use and the magic of that which they can create can all turn to ..... !!!  Leaving one in total confusion.... Think Chelsea`s vids will perhaps provide a good foundation in the learning process, though I have no personal experience other than the way they approach photographic education on the show....  

#4 elenat

elenat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for the tips and feedback, guys! 

When I have the time I might have a drive down there and give it another try :) It was actually a nice day when I shot this, but when I took this specific shot the clouds rolled in creating flat light. But I figured I could work with it haha

And yeah, moving those sliders are addictive. After a while I lose myself into just messing with the sliders to see what they do, not actually getting anywhere haha... 

Thanks again! 

#5 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

Was slow is contribution because I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Mark and Geedee's input seem on the money

#6 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 14mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
    Fujinon 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

I like the image.  The colour tone is very effective and consistent with way you've captured the clouds.  Two points to consider:  The first is the fact that the shadows are completely crushed on the far shore.  I would like to see more tonal contrast and I think it would make the image a bit more interesting if I could get more detail of what's going on in the shadows.  The second is the composition.  If you plan to go back and take another crack at it I'd like to see the near side of the bridge beginning more to the left of the frame, perhaps emerging out of the lower right corner or perhaps even further to the left.  The problem for me is that my eye settles on the blank space that is most of the photograph and is the least interesting.  I'd like my eye to pick up the leading line of the bridge right away and be directed to what is most interesting and why you're taking the pic.  So maybe give that a try and see how it goes.

#7 elenat

elenat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

The second is the composition.  If you plan to go back and take another crack at it I'd like to see the near side of the bridge beginning more to the left of the frame, perhaps emerging out of the lower right corner or perhaps even further to the left.  The problem for me is that my eye settles on the blank space that is most of the photograph and is the least interesting.  I'd like my eye to pick up the leading line of the bridge right away and be directed to what is most interesting and why you're taking the pic.  So maybe give that a try and see how it goes.

That's it!! That's probably what I thought was lacking from the image. Couldn't put my finger on it haha. Thanks so much.

And yes I'll fiddle around with the shadows and see what I can do with it. :) 

#8 grimlock361

grimlock361

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLafayette, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 10-18 f/4.5–5.6
    Canon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6
    Canon 50 f/1.8
    Canon 100 f/2.8L
    Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6
    Canon 100-400f/4.5-5.6LII
    Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 C
    Canon EF 1.4X III Extender
  • Flashes:Speedlite 430ex II
    Speedlite 270ex II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 7DM2
    Canon EOS 80D
    Canon EOS Rebel SL1
    Canon Powershot SX50HS
    Canon Powershot G15
    Canon EOS Elan 7NE (film)
    Canon EOS Rebel T2 (film)

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

Very beautiful image. However, the sense of space is awesome with cloud patterns and the bridge creating beautiful leading lines that build up to a ......sorta missing subject. I say sorta because the image is so good it really doesn't need anything else but you always want to find that pot of gold at the end of those leading line. Is there somebody that can build a lighthouse or something? We photographers have needs you know!
  • geedee and elenat like this

Portfolio:  http://361photo.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users