9 replies to this topic

#1 MrWild

MrWild

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Lenses:Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens - for sale

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR Lens
    DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR Lens
    Nikon AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D Lens
    Nikon AF-S TC-14E III 1.4x
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Lens
  • Flashes:Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash for Olympus/Panasonic/Leica Cameras - for sale

Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod with Induro GHB1 Gimbal Head
    Oben CT-3461 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with BE-117T Ball Head
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

ok, so I cropped the photo along with these other ones. I was on a boardwalk tower so I could not get any lower to the limpkin. I agree though getting down at eye level is the best, usually a little muddy  :D  but the best. 

these are all same camera same place different days

GH5 Lecia 100 - 400

Attached Files

#2 grimlock361

grimlock361

<3 SDP

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationLafayette, LA
  • Lenses:Canon EFS 10-18 f/4.5–5.6
    Canon EFS 17-55 f/2.8
    Canon EF 50 f/1.8
    Canon EF 100 f/2.8L
    Canon EFS 55-250 f/4-5.6
    Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6
    Canon EF100-400f/4.5-5.6LII
    Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 C
    Canon EFS 18-135 f/3.5-5.6
    Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6
    Canon EF 1.4X III Extender
  • Flashes:Speedlite 430ex II
    Speedlite 270ex II
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 7DM2
    Canon EOS 80D
    Canon EOS Rebel SL1
    Canon Powershot SX50HS
    Canon Powershot G15
    Canon EOS Elan 7NE (film)
    Canon EOS Rebel T2 (film)

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:57 AM

Very nice. The first two are the best. Work on cropping within the rule of thirds.

Portfolio:  http://361photo.net

#3 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:05 AM

Welcome!  It looks like you have a good lens and a good camera.  You might want to check your setting and make sure that the noise removal functions are set so they don't impact the detail of your image. It may help to post your settings as well.

Jonny

#4 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Very nice.

The egret in flight is well captured.

And I really like the third photo.  That non standard composition floats my boat ;)

The heron strike probably needed an even higher shutter speed.

The duck is good but maybe less space on the lefy ?

Good stuff !

#5 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

Good images. With wildlife focus on the eye. For me if the eye is not in focus I dont use the image. Try using your high speed drive, group focus and take a burst of several images. One will always be sharper than the others. Use the highest shutter speed that you can while keeping iSO reasonable - less than 1000+-. Try to post your camera settings when you post images here. It will help others give you feedback but it will also help you understand the combination of shutter speed, f stop and ISO.

#6 MrWild

MrWild

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Lenses:Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens - for sale

• Flashes:Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash for Olympus/Panasonic/Leica Cameras - for sale

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:39 PM

Ok, in order from left to right these were camera settings. non of the pictures have been edited except for cropping. I have lightroom 6, but I figured first I would learn how to take pictures worth correcting... makes sense?

on the eye focus, I believe all the pics except the snow egret in flight I did before I learned about back button focus and center focusing. So now I basically have cross-hairs for focusing, but I was using area focus ( shakes head) The focusing is better now, but looking at everyone elses images here and your portfolio grimlock, I am not sure that this GH5 can do that, but I want to find out. If it can and I just have to get better, then I am great!  If it cannot and I have to get a 7Dm2 then so be it.  I got this camera for its versitility and compactness for travel. anyways I ramble  here are the settings for these pics and all help is welcomed :-)    

Blue Egret in water  

1/1000 sec at f/6.3 400mm iso 200 

Blue Egret strike

1/1000 sec at f/6.3 400mm iso 200

Limpkin 

1/1000 sec at f/5.0 100mm iso 200

snowy egret 

1/1000 sec at f/4.5 137mm iso 200

Black bellied whistling duck

1/640 sec at f/6.3 400mm iso 1250

what is the best way to upload an image when I reply to a comment?

#7 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Don't dis your camera yet.  You also have a magnification setting for animals that aren't in flight.  You can activate it by either allowing it to magnify when you adjust focus manually or assigning it to a button.  That will allow you to get precision focus.  You nailed the heron in flight.  I have seen the same impact on my photos with "noise reduction" activated.  The chest of that duck and the neck/chest of the egret appear to have been muted by something; that's why I suggested looking at the noise reduction settings.  You have good IBIS and a 400/800mm lens that is half the size of a DSLR lens.  Take your time, and M43 has strengths as well as weaknesses.  I use it because of the size and cost; I may suffer IQ sues, but I still have hope that I will learn to do things correctly.  Check out this forum and the images; it's for M43, and the link is to Panasonic Cameras. https://www.mu-43.co...nic-cameras.43/

Jonny

#8 MrWild

MrWild

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thank you!! I have been shopping for cameras half the night and watching videos to see if it is me or just the cameras limits. I have learned so much in 6 weeks and still I know nothing.. LOL  Thank you again for the link.. I am going there now.. after another cup of coffee :-) 

#9 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,434 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

Good advice from Jonny. 

With stationary subjects try for lower shutter speeds.  There's a"rule" that's more of a guideline that says use a shutter sped that's the reciprocal of the focal length of your lens - the logic being that the longer the lens, the more sensitive it is to camera shake.

Through practice, Tony Northrup can shoot hand held at very low speeds (is there nothing that that man can't do ?) :)

A sturdy monopod is a good investment if you don't want to haul 'round a tripod and it does help to steady those long range shots.

With birds in flight (BIFs), you'll see the experienced photographers are often up around 1/2000 -1/4000th.

#10 MrWild

MrWild

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

I got some good ideas from a coupple of links that may help me out. I could not find noise reduction, but I did find that AFC is adjustable in sensitivity and speed. My settings were default basic so I put to the preset level 4 for quick and unpredictable objects.. 

I tried best I could today Roderick. After work I went to the park, but it was 4pm cloudy blah blah, so it was very difficult keeping my iso under 1600.  

Don't dis your camera yet.  You also have a magnification setting for animals that aren't in flight.  You can activate it by either allowing it to magnify when you adjust focus manually or assigning it to a button.  That will allow you to get precision focus.  You nailed the heron in flight.  I have seen the same impact on my photos with "noise reduction" activated.  The chest of that duck and the neck/chest of the egret appear to have been muted by something; that's why I suggested looking at the noise reduction settings.  You have good IBIS and a 400/800mm lens that is half the size of a DSLR lens.  Take your time, and M43 has strengths as well as weaknesses.  I use it because of the size and cost; I may suffer IQ sues, but I still have hope that I will learn to do things correctly.  Check out this forum and the images; it's for M43, and the link is to Panasonic Cameras. https://www.mu-43.co...nic-cameras.43/

I got some good ideas from a coupple of links that may help me out. I could not find noise reduction, but I did find that AFC is adjustable in sensitivity and speed. My settings were default basic so I put to the preset level 4 for quick and unpredictable objects.. 

Good images. With wildlife focus on the eye. For me if the eye is not in focus I dont use the image. Try using your high speed drive, group focus and take a burst of several images. One will always be sharper than the others. Use the highest shutter speed that you can while keeping iSO reasonable - less than 1000+-. Try to post your camera settings when you post images here. It will help others give you feedback but it will also help you understand the combination of shutter speed, f stop and ISO.

Good advice from Jonny. 

With stationary subjects try for lower shutter speeds.  There's a"rule" that's more of a guideline that says use a shutter sped that's the reciprocal of the focal length of your lens - the logic being that the longer the lens, the more sensitive it is to camera shake.

Through practice, Tony Northrup can shoot hand held at very low speeds (is there nothing that that man can't do ?) :)

A sturdy monopod is a good investment if you don't want to haul 'round a tripod and it does help to steady those long range shots.

With birds in flight (BIFs), you'll see the experienced photographers are often up around 1/2000 -1/4000th.

John and Roderick I tried the best I could today. After work I went to the park, but it was 4pm cloudy and blah blah, so it was very difficult keeping my iso under 1600.   I will be posting some pretty good results soon (tonight). I took about1500 shots along with some video experiments.  

Thank you, all three of you!! it did make picts better I believe. I had a lot more opputunities, but camera could not get focus.. had osprey fly right at me from 50 yards to maybe 10yrds away and never did get focus until it turned and was lateral and flying away :-( 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH5 wildlife

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users