• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Shot this past weekend.  CC always appreciated.

Attached File  Forest-Morning-1200.jpg   1.37MB   0 downloads

#2 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:19 AM

Hi Kerry
I like the combination of skinny twigs and branches against some of those massive tree trunks, and their horizontal lines in contrast to vertical tree trunks. I also really like the side lighting from left to right and the resulting shadows and textures. The lone skinny trunk in front to the right of the massive (birch?) trunk is a bit of distraction for me. In my mind's eye I see the scene without it. I also find myself wondering how that white bark would look in black & white? Maybe pretty cool.

My hat's off to you for capturing this interesting and complex scene.

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:59 AM

Kerry, I went away and came back to this a few times looking for something..... anything..... and that kinda sums it up for me, though I admit to having little to no artistic ability....   There is so much to distract the eye and not enough light to attract to anything in particular though my eyesight aint the best either.... though you were out there taking pics while the furthest I have been with my camera for some time has been the garden.... THANKS for posting.

#4 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi Kerry
I like the combination of skinny twigs and branches against some of those massive tree trunks, and their horizontal lines in contrast to vertical tree trunks. I also really like the side lighting from left to right and the resulting shadows and textures. The lone skinny trunk in front to the right of the massive (birch?) trunk is a bit of distraction for me. In my mind's eye I see the scene without it. I also find myself wondering how that white bark would look in black & white? Maybe pretty cool.

My hat's off to you for capturing this interesting and complex scene.

Thanks for your feedback.  Here's a version without the skinny trunk, I think it is an improvement.

Attached File  Forest-Morning-cloned.jpg   1.38MB   0 downloads

Kerry, I went away and came back to this a few times looking for something..... anything..... and that kinda sums it up for me, though I admit to having little to no artistic ability....   There is so much to distract the eye and not enough light to attract to anything in particular though my eyesight aint the best either.... though you were out there taking pics while the furthest I have been with my camera for some time has been the garden.... THANKS for posting.

Appreciate your feedback.  But then, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.  For me it is a forest scene.  I feel like the birches ground the image and the lighting gives it interest and depth.  A brilliant photograph?  Hardly.  But I feel like, baby step at a time, I'm getting closer to the kind of photographs that are meaningful to me.

• geedee likes this

#5 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Yes, I think this is an improvement. Nice PP work!

#6 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:49 AM

That's a tough one Kerry.  Isolating that birch isn't going to be easy.  The light in the back is good, and the birch grounds the image; but there are a lot of distractions.  I am currently working on a timber harvest at my property, and I see this scene all the time.  All I can think of is thinning the forest to harvest what timber is ready for harvest and setting the area up for new growth.  I am also not fond of "conifer/ hardwood mixed" forests that are not maintained.  I see work....that's my fault.  There's some nice, young growth in the back too.  Keep at it Kerry.  I think you can make it into something good. 

Jonny

#7 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

That's a tough one Kerry.  Isolating that birch isn't going to be easy.  The light in the back is good, and the birch grounds the image; but there are a lot of distractions.  I am currently working on a timber harvest at my property, and I see this scene all the time.  All I can think of is thinning the forest to harvest what timber is ready for harvest and setting the area up for new growth.  I am also not fond of "conifer/ hardwood mixed" forests that are not maintained.  I see work....that's my fault.  There's some nice, young growth in the back too.  Keep at it Kerry.  I think you can make it into something good. 

Thanks for the input.  Of course, I'm not a forester and this is wilderness bush, which is what I'm trying to get a picture of.  But I hear what your saying, namely that there is a lot going on, a lot of detail to take in, which can be distracting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users