• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

I went out in the hour before sunset looking for side light, back light, and "warm" light.  It is challenging to concentrate on seeing different kinds of light, and how the light impacts the subjects from different angles.  These are my favorites, all at ISO 100. 

1. Side light (62mm, f/4.5, 1/640 sec).  I like the texture in the branches, and also the contrasting background.

2. Back light (70mm, f/11, 1/400 sec).  Not all that colorful, but nice back light and I like the sun creeping in top right.

3. Warm light (70mm, f/8, 1/160 sec).  Just like the gold warmth all around.   Maybe my favorite of the bunch

4. Black & White (70mm, f/8, 1/160 sec).  In color this was similar to #3.  I cropped a different image and converted to B&W in LR.  I like the details in the leaves, and the bokeh.

CC welcome.  Which ones work for you (or not!), and why (and why not!).  Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:08 AM

1 and 2 did not work for me while looking for something in No1 Steve`s mantra of isolate and simplify came to mind thinking that the tree definitely had possibilities I was thinking a close-up of a interesting section of the tree alone might have worked better as there was distraction (for me) in the background. When I looked at No2 I had similar thoughts of wanting to be in close... then you got me with N03  and of course No 4.... Seems you were perhaps drawn by similar thought patterns Mark...(-:  Yup the last two for me work really well. 

#3 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,524 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hi Mark.

3 and 4 are very nice. 3 appeals most.  That warm light is addictive.

2 doesn't have a point of interest but it might work if you blew it up wall sized.

No.1 is not there yet, but I think there's something very worthwhile there.

The background is too strong and the branch gets a bit lost.  If you could blur it or blow it out it could work.  Or even just change your vantage point and shoot from a different angle.

If your software allows, you could blurring the background in post ?

#4 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

Thanks Geedee and Rod. Got it. Isolate and simplify, especially #1 where more work might bring out a better image. Close up. Change angle. Thanks for your thoughts.

#5 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

I have recently come to a conclusion about my own photography that probably seems obvious to most, namely that I'm not shooting objects, I'm shooting light.  This past weekend I did some early morning and late evening photography walking in a forest searching, not for the interesting object but for where the light was happening.  It seems to me that your series of photographs is also about that.  For that reason I found the 2nd and 3rd photographs the most interesting.  The play of light is the subject.  In the 2nd it is a field of play, while in the 3rd it gets in closer and more object oriented.   But in either case it is all about the light.   This past weekend I found myself finding a scene and shooting, moving in closer, shooting again and so on.  The results were very interesting and helped me get a clearer picture of what I was photographing and when the photograph really begins to work.  The first of your shots, actually has a lot of potential.  The play of light is very interesting but that's an example where shooting, shooting closer, and shooting closer still would probably yield some interesting results.  But I really like what you're after in all of these.

#6 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Kerry, Yes that is what I'm exploring here.

As I read more about the subject of light, I can't help but think it is also about the shadows: strong sharp edges accentuating texture, and soft ones, long shadows from low light, contrasting shadows against brighter subjects (like #1).

I appreciate everyone's comments about moving my feet (!) to find the best possible composition. In the case of #1 the tree was down a rather severe slope I didn't want to traverse 😬 Which accounts for the angle of view being from above.
When I invest in my next lens (70-200, or maybe 70-300 for even longer reach) I should be better equipped to zoom in

#7 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

Regarding images 3 & 4; I like the crop in 4 better.  I see that you focused on the leaf protruding to the right, kind of in the middle of image three.  I am no expert, but focusing on the higher leaves may have drawn my attention up the plant to the top.  I think they're nice.  I like the depth of image one, I like the subtle, soft contrasts in image 2, and 3&4 I discussed.  Thanks Mark!

Jonny

#8 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hi Jonny.  That's pretty observant about which leaf is in focus and how that can draw one's eye up or down a stem.  I never noticed thought of that before.  There are plenty of leaves to focus on...why not be deliberate about which one!  Thanks for your thoughts.

#9 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

I like your thought process and gumption to get out and do this kind of exercise.  Your backlit photo catches my eye most, I also like the B&W.  The finely textured leaves really stand out against the jet black background in #2, well done Mark.

#10 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

3. Warm light (70mm, f/8, 1/160 sec).  Just like the gold warmth all around.   Maybe my favorite of the bunch.

My favorite as well. The whole thread and especially Kerry's insight make for an interesting read. No question that it really is about the light. At least that is the starting place and while you can fudge a few things in pp you can't make up for poor light just like you can't make up for out of focus.

#11 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:11 AM

Thanks Doug and John.
This "light study" is pretty fun and interesting. I'm looking at scenes with a new-found perspective, like Kerry says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users