• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Flashes:None, but getting one soon.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

The last one is a winner. I agree that the horizon needs to be leveled. :) :) :)

#22 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, as ever much appreciated.

Jonny, as a duffer I am happy to share my mistakes and misunderstandings and my thought processes contorted or otherwise... (-: Just pleased that you might have found anything in my ramble of interest.  Agreed the last is a far more interesting composition thanks due to Doug for suggesting I use the nifty fifty which presented a totally different  perspective and encouraged me to frame things up differently when compared to the pic I initially set out in the hope of capturing,  of which the first one I posted is more representative. Though a better and more accurate comparison on ...perspective... would have been to try to frame the scene as captured in the first instance with the 70-200. Dependant on weather I will try again tomorrow with the 50..

Doug Rod and John.... no argument from me the nifty fifty created a generally more interesting pic. Think you may be correct regarding level John though there are so many angles in play.... off level is my speciality, not Dutch tilt, but perhaps not far of it at times..

Just put my 16-35 in for overhaul to clean up the fogging/bacterial growth that has appeared.... It will be sent back to Nikon, could be half the cost of a new replacement...hmm ! While in the shop the sales guy showed me a 14-24 f2.8 that he had available  second hand, scabby front lens cover though other than that looked clean as a whistle....hmmmmmmmmm....!!!!

#23 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:18 AM

Oh-oh  Geedee !

The first sign of Spring and it's off to the camera shop...

(Now.  Where's my wallet ?)

#24 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,477 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

Had another go this morning with the 50mm and tried to approximately replicate the scene taken with the 70-200. hope to post both pics alongside here to save anyone interested having to go back and forward across the page.

Remembering the first challenge was to try to capture the three subjects in bloom, after that it was about understanding hyperfocal difference between lenses and in my case the objective was to make the distant tree more part of the scene and using as small an aperture as possible in each lens to try to accomplish that while focusing on the tulips...or thereabouts..

I guess what may be obvious in the comparison is that the tree is still not in full bloom, that the Daffs are almost entirely dead and the tulips have not got much life left in them.

As for square... should have used the camera`s level perhaps. The grass at the bottom of the pic is inclined to mislead the eye given the angle of the camera to the edge of the grass.. sure the pillars in the wall are vertical though with ivy growing up them .... same thing for the top of the wall... Run out of excuses now (-:

Rod still VERY tempted.... though I will be without my trusty 16-35 for a while it seems....and spring is in full swing hereabouts....AND I have a weekend away with a large group of friends approaching..... Have I convinced myself enough...!!!  (-:

All three pics are cropped to some extent.

The tree looms large in the background  f22 1/13th   ISO 100  Nikkor 70-200 @135mm

Tree more distant   f16  1/80th  ISO100  Nikkor 50mm

Yet a different perspective... F22  1/13th  ISO 100  Nikkor 12-24 @ 19mm

Attached Files

#25 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

I like no.2 more.

Just tell yourself that it will be good for the economy, Geedee.

;)

#26 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,477 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Rod, with a further reduction on price of £250.... it would have been sheer bad manners not to buy the thing...(-:

I like No 2 more also, though remembering that I knew that it would contain more sky I made use of my CP, which affected those reds...(-: and of course the greens and the sky...

Also remembering this ended up being more about me trying to understand a bit more relative to perspective and DOF variables than much else ... I added the third pic above, even at f22 the tree is still not in focus with the focus point on the ivy, and  sure the sky is washed out.... though the cost of a CP for the 14-24.... !!!!

Still a very long way away from being able to pick exactly the most suited lens to give the perspective I might require  to set a particular scene... Doug`s suggestion of the nifty fifty caused me to frame up a different scene while trying to capture the same elements  Amazing how the most basic lens in one`s kit can effectively turn out the best results....(-:

I have all these pics in RAW and exposed/focussed for the tree and tulips separately thus if I ever get round to being a bit more adventurous in PP perhaps I can improve them a bit, might even get something I think worth hanging on my wall...at last...(-:    

#27 rdb images

rdb images

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • Flashes:None, but getting one soon.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

Number two is the best perspective IMO. Number 1 I keep looking at the tree, it overpowers. Number 3 the tree is just an afterthought.

Thanks for this exercise. It is a nice tutorial on perspective. A difficult subject choosing a lens.

#28 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

Gedee - I still like the "nifty fifty" shot the best.  As for the lens - I hope you buy it; this has been a really great thread, and, selfishly, I hope we get more!  I revamped my lens lineup, and I was able to trade in my old lenses at a rate that was acceptable to me. That was my justification ;).  Seeing the world through a lens has added dimensions to my life that I could never have imagine existed.  Changing focal length, depth of field, composition, lighting, angles and whatever else we can throw into the mix is just fascinating to me, and you've taken us along with you.  Keep it up Gedee - it really helps!

Jonny

#29 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,477 posts
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, bought the lens Jonny, just too hard to resist at the final price it was offered at. It opens up possibilities for me given I have ever favoured my 16-35 when recording building/landscaping works, house interiors, things automotive/boat and the occasional land/seascape. I suspect most folk when they buy a new pice of kit ever wish they had it back when they were on a trip to here there and everywhere given the opportunities it might have provided over the lesser kit they had available at the time...(-:   I suspect I have been sucked into a situation that will require even more wallet pain... As even though Tony thinks that filters are no longer a requirement given so much can be done in PP, my selective Luddite tendencies decree that I would not be happy to be without a CP filter for landscape and some vehicle pics where reflections can induce limitations, the issue would seem to be that to use the Lee filter system to provide polarisation for the 14-24 requires an expenditure of circa £435...!!!

Given this is the LANDSCAPE section of the forum there may be others interested in the filter topic relative to capturing landscapes as opposed to tulips and if so perhaps they might like to look up Thomas Heaton on you tube, a UK based Vlogger who is into landscape and filter use it seems..

As I have previously typed I am happy to think in type as I blunder my way along the learning process, sharing is all part of the enjoyment for me.

Jonny, how true when you comment on "seeing the world through a lens" has opened up other dimensions, for that would seem to be the most basic wonder of photography for many of us...(-:  

#30 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

Wallet pain?  Lugging that heavy old wallet around probably slowed you down a step or two; though the lens is probably heavier, we have to rational-lies things.  It is good for the economy too!  If you like CP filters, no matter what anyone says, it's your preference and your choice.  It's that simple, and you have nothing to justify.  Shoot away Gedee, and please share with us!

Jonny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users