• 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hi all

I have the m10 mark ii and it's been treating me well. I have yet to log some good hours of shooting with it to really feel like i know the camera.

However I am trying to familiarise myself with using the Histogram while shooting. I find that it shows me the histo of the playback is based on the jpeg version (no matter which format i shoot in) so a lot of the times it would show a pretty overexposed image or one with quite a bit of highlights clipped. But when I load the image onto Darktable (my Lightroom alternative) and find that the "overexposed" image was actually very well exposed once I reset the base curve? 

Has anyone run into this problem on any of the OMD's? And if so, how did you work around it? 

Also, while I'm here.. anyone else find that the live histogram is different from the image playback's? 

I'm not sure if these are just the em10's or it's a thing with cameras in general? 

Thanks in advance!

#2 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Well every DSLR shows histogram based on JPEG. Hard to tell though how much different it is from the RAW one. You will just have to learn your camera. Usually hard spikes of over or underexpose are fine. You just have to watch out for big spots. They are rather hard to recover.

After a few weeks of using you will know when your histogram is ok and when the photo is rather useless and change in settings is needed.

Also try to view the problematic photo with that blinking under and overexposed parts. Sometimes they are in the places that you will most likely crop in the post so overall the photo will be 100% fine ;)

On my D500 I'm trying to stay away from the borders of histogram but sometimes a little part can get there. It is fine. Usually it is sun which always will be pure white or really dark spaces on some indoor photos.

Unless you really mess up the exposition you will most likely get the details from RAW. Just depends on the camera.

You will get it in a while :)

#3 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

I have found that the Olympus RAW files often don't look as good as the JPGs; they're a bit less exposed and have less detail.  You can fix them, but it's frustrating.  An analyst explained it as if Olympus was implementing some type of noise reduction on their RAW files. 

Try:  https://www.mu-43.co...pus-cameras.42/

This is a forum dedicated to micro four thirds, and there are topics dedicated to your camera specifically.  Good luck!

Jonny

#4 elenat

elenat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA, Australia
  • Lenses:M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Olympus Kit Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6
  • Flashes:-
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark ii

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the insights! Guess I'll just have to keep shooting then ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users