• LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Easter has an important historical significance in Ireland, apart from its religious importance.

Had four of these Pilatus PC-9M trainers practicing around my house today in prep for the Easter commemoration .

Exposure is hard !

Also  because of their flight path they were following, I couldn't get a clear view of the cockpit which IMO is so important.

Shutter varied from 1/640th to 1/600th, f6.3, +1EV

Heavy crops and colour adjusted.

All CC welcomed

Attached Files

• David Pavlich likes this

#2 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

French guys over Ireland? Wasn't there since 2nd WW, huh? ;)

Or is it Czech? Netherlands? What is that flag?! Nevermind...

Shutter speed was waaay too fast ;) For a propeller plane should be at the most 1/300s (1/250 gives pretty wide visible track of the propeller) with obvious panning and continuous shooting (2-3 shots at a time cause you will miss them, unless you're a robot). It is a hell of a struggle when you don't know what is the exact path of the plane but as they were rather testing normal flight, not acrobatics, theirs paths were rather simple. I can see that they were flying literally above you so the speeds and time to catch was minimal, though. I know from experience that such a plane moves like a lightning bolt when only 30-40m above.

I don't know how long they were flying but personally I'd set wider aperture (sorry don't know the lens but I guess it was capable of getting 5.6 maybe 4.5?), left EV at 0 (I don't know, I never play with that setting, so that's just me) and maybe add a little more ISO, which you didn't mention :) But I guess with the slower shutter speed and wide aperture ISO would rather get down than up. After that I'd check the first few photos and see what's going on. If the show is short there is no time to mess with settings but also there is no time for weather to change dramatically so this should be enough to get the idea.

Can't see a lot of shadows but I guess hard sun wasn't a problem and overcast added quite nice soft lighting.

Anyway if it was a one time quick flyby great job. And if not, you know what to do in a few days ;) Cause you will try to catch them in a few days, right?

#3 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:29 AM

Rospondek !!

That's the green-white-orange we paint on the side of out stuff to tell people to keep their hands off !! ;)

Thanks for the feedback - it just looks wrong to have the prop frozen like that.

I couldn't do much with the aperture - - the lens is a 150-600 f5.6 - 6.3., BUT, at least it doesn't weigh haft a ton like Steve's bazookas.

With any luck I'll get another chance , and next time I'll be down at 1/250th.

#4 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

I look forward to seeing the next ones Rod!  Exposure is difficult - I tried to capture some planes and a magpie on a stick shots last night  and had a heck of a time trying to keep the sky blue.  Planes don't look as bad as helicopters with their props frozen - I had a few of those :D .  Thanks for the tip Respondek!

Jonny

#5 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,231 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:02 AM

Interesting roundels, had never noted them before, it has also been some time since I saw an IEC kite. Seems to me that you were up against it in terms of  getting them in the frame let alone determining settings, I hope you get a second chance at them, t`would be interesting to see if there was any improvement.

Improvement...!!!  I had loads of opportunities to take pics of all sorts of aircraft over many years and rarely did I do so...!  Best ever fail, and there were loads of them, was the opportunity to grab a pic of the Space Shuttle on the back of a Jumbo from the top of the terminal building... There was I with my AE1 and a flat battery.... insert the expletive(s) of your choice...)-:   I have poor pics of all sorts of interesting aircraft ...Sigh!

#6 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,682 posts
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:56 AM

Thanks Jonny.  Yep. I have a load of weird helicopter shots as well !

Geedee, I think the roundels refer back to a Celtic symbol but I'm not sure.  A while back there was a restoration done on a Spitfire T9 which the finished in Aer Corps colours of reed green overall.  it looked stunning !  There are photos on the web of it.

All those photos we never took - I sympathise.

My big miss was while steaming up the North Sea, watching an American C130 in full 4 tone camo and with the prongs on its nose for snagging balloon cables, dropping smoke flares and circling around.

No film and no zoom...

:huh:

#7 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:10 AM

That's the green-white-orange we paint on the side of out stuff to tell people to keep their hands off !! ;)

green-white-orange? OK so the white balance or the sky reflection changed the colors at all :D
It really looks like blue-white-red :D

You did well with this equipment and quick action. There is another story when everything lasts longer and you have a chance to adapt to conditions.

Reciprocityrules those are not bad cause there is movement. And yes, helicopters stopped in motion looks strange :D

I got two sample shots. One when everything was prepared. So 1/125, f/10, 200mm.

347754_dsc5207.jpg

And the second one from surprise. I was taking shots of parachuters on the ground after jump when it flew from behind me. 1/6400s, f/1.4, 50mm :D

148692_dsc5708.jpg

Even though his props weren't moving he didn't crash. A miracle ;)

As for the exposure. Hmm, don't know what to say. If the sky is blue I had no problems with keeping it blue. If there was overcast, you can't do too much unless you mess up colors of planes as well. Of course masking and everything is helpful but I'd rather left the full frame as it was in real life.

Those above shots were made at the same day with the 3hrs difference. But first one was shot right before a huge storm, that's why the sky is so dark. The second bout half an hour after it cleared up. Lovely blue here I come ;)

Roderick Hercules with flares? You mean Angel of death?

540dc8bec2bca6da36428cccdcc1d4bb.jpg

Oh how I want to see that with my own eyes...

• Reciprocityrules likes this

#8 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,682 posts
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Drat!

I spent a while bringing up the saturation on the green/orange and forgot about the white. :angry:

I must have dragged the blue slider without thinking.

That Blackhawk is great.  Is it cropped ?

The C130 I saw was just dropping single smoke flares for spotting practice, not dodging SAMs !

#9 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Cropped a little on the sides and the bottom. 200mm even on DX is not enough to fill the frame on the air show. Even though helicopters are flying near the people, much closer than any acrobat planes, it is still about 200m away. They just can't do any acrobatics above the viewers.

I saw today that the biggest air show in Poland will happen in about 4 months. I hope I'll manage to be there. The only show we can see jets and big scale acrobatics :D

Let's just hope the weather will be ok and there will be no accidents...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users