Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

I notice that some upload their images to Flickr and then upload to this and presumably other sites from there. What is the advantage of doing this? What resolution do you upload to Flickr? Are your images protected and can they be downloaded from Flickr? Why use Flickr?

#2 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Not using the Flickr but about any protection. As an IT. Unless the photo is displayed in Flash* or shattered into thousand of pieces there is no protection. If the browser is able to show the desired resolution you got the photo. As easy as that. And I'm not even talking bout cache.

Flickr under right click won't give you an option to save the photo but... If You know what you're looking for... Literally 1s of searching and I can get original Flickr res.

So that's all about technical stuff. The rest is beyond me ;)

*and actually it is even possible to get it from there. Been there... Done that... It is just a matter of time and resources needed.

#3 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Rospondek. With this site I upload at 1250 on the long edge which is not enough for a good print. I know someone could download the image and use it on the web. On Flickr I see that there is a way for the account holder to deny permission to download their images. Does that stop someone or is it still easy if you know what you are doing?

From the web site:

Who can download my photos in Flickr?

If your image is publicly visible on the web, anyone viewing it can find ways to download it.

Can I prevent others from downloading my photos?

Change your photo's privacy from public to private. Learn how to make your photos private.

If your photo is publicly viewable, you can only discourage others from downloading it. You can't stop others from downloading images they can publicly view in their web browser.

Discourage downloading

Here are some actions you can take to discourage others from downloading your photos, but remember, by "discourage," we do mean simply "discourage."

1. Limit access to your "original image."
  2. Limit the size of the image you want others to have access to.
  3. Change your default license to "None."

#4 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

So if I read it right. There is no actual way to forbid downloading on Flickr.

Setting photo to private is what you think it is. Like watching your attachment on gmail or any e-mail. You can see it easily but that's it. Nobody else can unless you send them that attachment. And if you want to show this photo, you can't set it to private and you're gone. Sorry.

As I said you can't 100% forbid downloading. I really can't see a way. You can make it hard to do. I remember I saw once some gallery which had shattered photos. Like teeny-tiny 20x20px puzzles. And in advance of any questions no, I'm not like wandering through all of the galleries and save hires to use them as my own. But of course I save a lot of photos as an inspiration. Who doesn't when he is still learning?! And often especially in astrophoto the hires is what it is all about. Anyway at that time one of the parts of photo was missing so I checked the code to see what's going on. That was educative and creative and actually easily done with Photoshop. And the only time I saw that :D

Summarizing, everything visible to the people is at their disposal. You have to deal with it.

The only thing you can do right now is to change the resolution leaving the size of the photo. I guess that's the best idea to prevent reusing and printing the photo. Changing it to 72dpi is always helpful. It will look ok on the monitor but printing will be messy.

Just someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users