• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

I am using a Nikkor AF-S DX Micro 40mm (60mm equiv for APS-C sensor) f/2.8G for macro work on my D7100 body. It requires me to get very close to my subject to fill the frame. Is there a better choice that would allow me to stay back farther (keeping in mind the D7100 has an APS-C sensor?)

Thanks for your help.

Bob

#2 Meergrapher

Meergrapher

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

#3 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

I do not often use macro techniques though on occasion have done, for that was the only way to capture the required subject matter, logically(?) I bought a set of extension tubes to experiment with to use with my 50mm f1.4 lens which seems to work well enough. I suspect the lens being a 1.4 has some advantage in the process.

I bought extension tubes that came in a set of three different lengths which it seems allows me to be closer or further away from the subject dependant on which length or combination of tube(s) I select. Given the price differernce between tubes and lenses, Meergraphers suggestion seems well worth a try..?

Even though I bought auto tubes, I tend to use manual focus.

#4 Reciprocityrules

Reciprocityrules

Comfortably Numb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationChina & U.S.
  • Lenses:Olympus:
    12-40mm f/2.8
    40-150mm f/2.8
    60mm f/2.8 Macro
    300mm f/4
    MC-14 1.4x TC
    Kenko Ext. Tubes 26mm
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-660
  • Camera Body or Bodies:OMD EM5 Mark II
    OMD EM1 Mark II

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:57 AM

It really depends on what your objectives are.  For the purist, true "macro" photography takes place at the 1:1 aspect ratio.  At this ratio, you have to get close. You get cool pics of plant sex organs and insect eyes, and the objective is detail and clarity (to see what the human eye can't); so a macro lens is well-suited for this.  Lighting is a bit tough for this, but Tony has a vid with a make-shift lighting rig that will help if lighting is your issue with getting close.  If you're just trying to get pictures of insects on plants or whatever, I really like my 150mm (I'm micro 4/3,  that's a 300mm equivalent) with extension tubes; so going with the tubes and a long focal length lens to get close-ups of insects and such is what I recommend as well.  You have to play with them to find what works for you, and you can't focus at a distance with them.  Remember too that, as Steve reminded us, the tubes are generally not dust or water resistant, so keep that in mind.

Jonny

#5 Meergrapher

Meergrapher

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

#6 rdb images

rdb images

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationWarminster, PA USA
  • Lenses:AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7100

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I would rather not get involved with extension tubes at this time since I want to limit my learning to one thing at a time - that is composing interesting macro photos. Would I see any benefit from a 85mm macro lens vs a 40mm macro lens? I understand that I would not have to be quite as close to my subject for a 1:1 photo, which would be useful in terms of not scaring insects and casting shadows, but is there any other expected benefit from a longer focal length? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Bob

#7 Meergrapher

Meergrapher

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users