#1 aggiecutter

aggiecutter

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Lenses:Canon 15-85
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 80D

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

Is it necessary to use a custom white balance in camera, or shoot a picture of a white balance card in the lighting you are taking your photos in(then apply in post) for landscape photography. Or, can proper white balance be attained in post without a custom white balance or white balance card as a reference for your photos.

#2 MarkM

MarkM

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Lenses:AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony RX100 M4

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

I've learned you can adjust it in post. On the other hand you can do the best you can in-camera and save time for other production editing.
I'm still learning. So I'm trying to get it "right" in camera.

#3 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

IMHO white balance is probably the most important adjustment you can make to bring out true life to you photos.  I let the the gear make the initial decision by setting it to auto, then keep a mental snapshot, and then carefully adjust in post.  You will know when it's right!  Cameras can be fooled, the basic exposure setting is a prime example.

Doug

#4 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

Shoot raw fix your WB to where it needs to go in post.

#5 rospondek

rospondek

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationKrakow, Poland
  • Lenses:AF-S NIKKOR 10-24mm F3.5-4.5G ED DX
    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
    Venus Optics LAOWA 60 mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro 2:1
    AF-S NIKKOR 105 mm f/2.8G VR IF-ED MICRO
  • Flashes:R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

IMHO white balance is probably the most important adjustment you can make to bring out true life to you photos.

Totally agree but...

I let the the gear make the initial decision by setting it to auto, then keep a mental snapshot, and then carefully adjust in post. You will know when it's right! Cameras can be fooled, the basic exposure setting is a prime example.
Doug

The auto WB is ok when you're about to make 5-10 photos. When this number has one more '0' or even two spread across different locations... Believe me, anything set to auto will make you mental after 200th photo with different settings each time.

So, unless you have a lot of time, you will prepare to make this couple of shots and want to shoot JPG and get WYSIWYG straight from the camera don't bother with anything 'auto'.
But that's my workflow :)

#6 Meergrapher

Meergrapher

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

#7 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 2,861 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Bryan Peterson is one of the "expert" who`s books I bought after liking the many vids he made for Adorama suggests that he sets his camera to cloudy and leaves it there. I guess he perhaps has set that as a datum and adjusts in PP from that point....?

I have enjoyed capturing a few landscape pics amongst other subjects though as yet have not got round to studying other than the very basics of PP and having seen just some of the possibilities PP can add or detract from an image, it seems that to try to judge what might have been captured in-camera relative to the final image after PP has been applied must be close to impossible... As for the importance of selecting a perfect white balance setting for a particular scene when intending to apply PP to the captured image....????? 

Try beaming up www.landscapepro.pics  and have a look at the magic that can be PP.... seems getting it entirely wrong in camera may be no big deal....Which can indeed be a great comfort at times for me, though it seems camera skills like many others can be negated to a certain extent by modern methods...?

Yeah... just showing my age...(-: 

#8 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationMandeville, LA
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

The best advice I've read;  shoot in RAW.  You have total control over the white balance in post.

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#9 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Tip 2? Develop in black n white? 😈
  • David Pavlich likes this

#10 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

Agree, RAW

#11 Mark Monson

Mark Monson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L IS USM
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlight 430EX III-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 6D

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

If you don't already shoot landscapes in full manual and plan to take multiple shots to stitch them into a pano, take a sample (perhaps the middle picture) to see what the settings should be for the proper exposure. Then set your camera to full manual, dial in those settings and take your shots. If you let the camera decide the settings for each shot, chances are something will change in some of them. This way, you only need to adjust one in post and sync those settings to the others. Your stitched pano should look great.

And yes, always shoot raw if you don't mind doing some post processing; then white balance setting is a non-issue.
  • geedee likes this

#12 TknoGeek

TknoGeek

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
  • Lenses:Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8, Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma 12-24mm f/4 ART (FX)
  • Flashes:Godox AD360; Yongnuo YN568EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

Is it necessary to use a custom white balance in camera, or shoot a picture of a white balance card in the lighting you are taking your photos in(then apply in post) for landscape photography. Or, can proper white balance be attained in post without a custom white balance or white balance card as a reference for your photos.

1. No, it is not necessary to use a custom white balance for landscapes. I very rarely change my white balance setting in camera, but see #2...

2. Yes, it is a good idea to take a photo of a gray card. As you know, even sunlight changes over the course of a day (or even with the moving of a cloud), so taking a reference shot of a gray card allows accurate reproduction in post - or at least let you know by how much you're intentionally moving away from accurate.  ;)  When looking at an import of mine from a week's travel, one can easily identify the different locations by gray card photos in the collection.

3. Yes, "proper" white balance can be attained in post - particularly if you shoot in raw format. For landscapes perhaps more than any other photographic genre, raw is practically a requirement.

Awards Bar:

#13 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

I find getting the right white balance to be very challenging.  I shoot in RAW so I don't do it in camera.  And, of course, I'm a relative beginner.  But it really is less about technically getting it right than it is about training my eye.  I've shot and post processed a lot over the past six or eight months.  I'll work on a photo and then be really excited about it and show it to anyone who will look.  Then I'll come back to it maybe a month later and be shocked - "What was I thinking?!" The photo will be obviously brown and muddy or have a blue cast or some such thing that I just wasn't able to see.  As I say, there are ways you can set white balance both in Lr and Ps that is supposedly "technically right" but in the end what it's about for me is training my eye and learning to trust it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users