• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOahu
  • Lenses:Sigma Art 18-35mm f/1.8
    Sigma 70-200mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7200

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:32 AM

So this is one of my first attempts at HDR, and the first sunrise I've tried the technique on.  I am new to the technique so any criticism and help is welcomed(don't worry, I have very thick skin).  I feel like it's a little to overdone, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Nikon D7200, Sigma Art 18-35mm at 18mm, f/16, ISO 100, 1/10-1/2 sec exposures processed in HDR Efex Pro 2.

Attached File  RabbitIsleSunriseforOnline.jpg   148.53KB   0 downloads

#2 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

Not much into PP and even less so HDR, though it sure has it`s uses.    I like the scene, there is much in it to soak in, the guy fishing is a bonus as is the detail available in the rocks and foliage the clouds look almost artificial though I appreciate that HDR is utilised to make things stand out in a way that is perhaps un-natural...? Interesting image for sure. Thanks for posting.

#3 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

You have a really bad halo on that island, green plants could be toned down a bit. I'm red/green colourblind but that's like greenhouse plants green.

#4 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 4,299 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

The high cloud and the cumulus on the horizon are very nice.

Its a good scene.

The foreground and the island are a bit dark IMO.

#5 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Lenses:Fuji 14mm f/2.8
    Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fuji 18-135mm
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-1

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

This is great for a first attempt.  But in this photo you can really see the problems inherent with automatic HDR programs.  Those type of programs are making all the decisions for you and, quite often, they're not very good ones.  With automatic HDR programs haloing is often a problem but the biggest issue, in my opinion can be seen in the foreground where everything is flattened out and becomes muddy.  All the contrast is essentially lost and that's because the program's algorithms are too simple to deal with the complexity of the shot.  You can see the same problem in the sky with the way the clouds become haloed and lose their dimensionality because so much contrast is lost and flattened out.  It's kind of like shooting in JPEG instead of RAW and letting the camera make all your decision about colour, tone, saturation and so on.  If you want to do more of this kind of high dynamic range photography I would highly recommend learning how to do your own digital blending.  This involves learning something about  photoshop and luminosity masking, which is a bit of a learning curve.  But the freedom it gives you in processing and the quality of the results is hugely rewarding.  There are a number photographers who teach these techniques, the best of whom, in my opinion, is Tony Kuyper.  But the most accessible, especially for digital blending, is probably Jimmy McIntyre and you might want to Google his name to see what he's up to.  Anyway, keep at it.

I just wanted to add this.  Given that you are using an automatic HDR program you might try this.  Decide which exposure will be your base, usually the middle exposure, and in Lr bring the exposures of the other two closer to the base (i.e., adjust in the Basic panel in Lr particularly exposure, highlight, black, shadow and white sliders.)  Don't worry too much about creating noise, that will get worked out in the blending.  You'll probably need to experiment a little with Lr adjustments.  One of the problems with this shot, I think, is that the exposures that are being blended are too extreme and that can cause a lot of the flattening and weird affects.  Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users