Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 IS USM
    Extension Tubes
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN565EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:EOS Rebel T3I/600D

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm giving it ago at stock photography, & would really appreciate all of you that are currently stock photographers help critique my shots please. I have submitted these to Shutterstock, & I'm  currently waiting on the reply from them. So before I submit anywhere else I would again like your feedback. I currently don't have any lighting, such as stands, umbrellas or studio lights. Working on That!

So I'm kinda limited I Think!

Please feel free to share how you broke into the business as well if you would like. Very interested on how things worked out for you.

Thanks in advance Stunners!

Attached Files

• Rick Hackley and PeterG like this

PondofSadness.jpg

#2 Emanuele Fallerini

Emanuele Fallerini

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Lenses:Canon 17-40 L , Canon 50 1.8 , Canon 85 1.8 USM , Sigma 10-20 , Tamron 70 200 Macro , Canon 28 2.8 IS , Polarized Filter Hoya pro Circular , ND8 Filter

Tripod Cullmann Magnesit 525 head 3 way
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN-565EX TTL
  • Camera Body or Bodies:7D

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Me too , I have submitted to shutterstock,and waiting for answer

first of all lot photo of the same subject they reject, so 1 4 8 9 10 are same subject the only want 1 or 2 of this.

Number 7 sky is burned not good

Number 9 from blue to white not real sky  

anyway good luck, let me know how many accepted.

also I see lot of rumor I don't know if is the jpeg compression or photo at the high iso

• Darryl Walker likes this

#3 Alvenmod

Alvenmod

SDP Team Member

• Moderators
  • 19 posts
  • LocationStockholm
  • Lenses:Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300/f4 Af-S, Nikon TC-17EII, Nikon TC-20E III
  • Flashes:Nikon SB-910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D800

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm afraid you need to prepare for some bad news when you get the result back. The shots are not bad technically, but most of these shots Shutterstock already have in abundance, to get more shots approved of such common subjects they will have to be very, very good. These are not bad at all, but they don't stand out.

As has already been said the shots of the wind power will be rejected as they are the same subject, too bad the sky was blown out on the one with the flowers in front, that could have passed otherwise. Cows again they have in the thousands and thousands (made a search and they have 85000 shots of cows...)

The bench shot is the best one and it does have a chance at Shutterstock, it would most likely be rejected at Fotolia as they hate short depth of fields for some reason. You might get this approved, but I am uncertain about the commercial value of the shot, when making stock photography you always need to keep in mind the end customer, who will use the shot and for what?

Now don't get dis-encouraged by this if it turns out my doomsday prediction comes true, the main reason for the hard approval threshold is for you to learn from the experience and Shutterstock are very good at explaining the reasons for the rejection. I would propose we start a thread here where people can submit their rejected stock photos to have the members here help figure out what the rejection reason was as this is in many case a bit puzzling. I have had absolutely fantastic shots which I thought would be approved no question just to get that very shot rejected on every single stock site i submitted it too. It is not always clear, so let's help each other here.

I started out just like you, I simply took my best shots suited for stock and went ahead and submitted them to various stock sites, after that I have learnt what works and what does not and you get a feel for what sells and will be appreciated by stock sites, my approval rate is much higher now than when i first started. I believe my first set of 10 I only had 2 or 3 approved...but I didn't give up, I just went out and tried to do better and better and finally I had all 10 approved and today i can proudly say I am a contributor with small but steady sales at Shutterstock, iStock, Fotolia, 123RF and a few others.

You have the technical down, you just need to find the stock photography feel...try and make searches on stock sites to see what the big sellers are, that's a good way to learn and understand better what works... 

• Samantha Schannon, Darryl Walker, Anthony and 4 others like this
*´¨) http://alvenmod.se
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ Bazinga!

#4 Darryl Walker

Darryl Walker

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAmarillo,Texas
  • Lenses:Canon EF-S 18-55mm
    Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Extension Tubes

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Guys, Alven thats exactly what I needed. I agree, we do need a thread for Stock photography Q&A, and critique.

Thanks again. what equipment are you using, lighting, etc:? B)

• PeterPP likes this

PondofSadness.jpg

#5 Tony Northrup

Tony Northrup

It's Tony!

• Administrators
  • 205 posts
  • LocationWaterford, CT
  • Lenses:Canon 24-105 f/4, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 150mm macro, Sigma 17-35mm, Rokinon 8mm, Canon 500mm f/4, Canon 400mm f/5.6
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Newest to oldest: Canon 70D, 5D Mark III, 7D, 5D Mark II, 5D (classic), Canon AE-1, Kodak Retina IIa, FED-3, Yashica Mat-124G, Mamiya RB67

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I think the first and last shots have a good chance of selling. Be sure to use Photoshop to clone out ALL distractions, including the powerlines, and anything that isn't the subject.

The cattle is a good subject, but think about exactly how the picture would be used... probably in the context of farming, or maybe a news article about the dangers of beef, or some new variant of the mad cow disease. And I would GREATLY simplify the composition--maybe just a closeup of an eye and a bit of a horn, or the brand on the cattle... think of the simplest way you can possibly convey the subject.

Also, eliminate ALL noise. I don't have to zoom in to know there's noise in those blue skies, because here is always noise in blue skies, even if you're at ISO 100 with a pro camera. Check the Editing Wildlife video at the end of Stunning Digital Photography Chapter 8 for detailed information.

And definitely don't give up--learning to shoot and sell stock is an AMAZING way to learn, and even if (when) your shots get rejected, the stock photo company is basically providing you free feedback, which is very valuable.

You'll probably have the best luck if you shoot pictures specifically for stock. Look at the stock images in the world around you--billboards, stores, products, magazines, ads, blogs, etc., and think about which of those shots you could easily recreate. Also think of concepts that are popular, such as dieting, fast food, etc., and how you could convey those.

Typically, nice, soft light and white backgrounds work best for those starting out. You really don't need any fancy lights--bouncing a flash off the ceiling with a white paper background can be sufficient.

Good luck, and keep us posted! I love seeing readers do stock... for that matter, I really love commercial work. It's the ultimate photographer's challenge, because people vote with their dollars, which means they never BS you, and the winners get cash and get published. When you sell a shot, you really know it's good, because nobody buys a picture just to be nice :D.

Oh, and you're competing against thousands of other professional photographers, who all want the same buyer's dollars. You can't find a more intense competition than that in photography.

This site is expensive to run! Please support us by using the Shop & Support Us link on the menu when you shop at Amazon, or by using the links in the buyer's guide. Here are some direct links: Amazon US, Amazon UK.

#6 Darryl Walker

Darryl Walker

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAmarillo,Texas
    Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Extension Tubes

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thank you Tony,

Well that makes me feel alot better.

Thanks again!

PondofSadness.jpg

#7 Anthony

Anthony

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC
  • Lenses:Canon EF 100-400mm IS F4.5-5.6/L Mk 2, Tamron 150-600mm, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L, 40mm f/2.8. Sigman 50mm F/1.4 Art.
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN568EX II, Aperlite Y700C, Canon 600EX-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, 7Dm2, & 70D.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

This thread has me curious to know more!
  • Nancy Tardiff and belgordon like this

#8 Fotogenisk

Fotogenisk

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Lenses:Canon ef-s 60mm usm macro f/2.8
    Canon efs 55-250mm IS
    Canon ef 50mm f/1.8 ii
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon eos 600d

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hello I'm trying to get into stock aswell, are these pics any good for a stock site? 
I really could use some guidelines on how to do stock photography right. 

I think I need more photos of people, all I got now is nature type stuff.

By the way the quality might be crap since I had to lower the quality of the photos to make sure I was under the 5 mb limit.  :ph34r: 

Attached Files

#9 Darryl Walker

Darryl Walker

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAmarillo,Texas
    Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Extension Tubes

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Here's my update....!
3 were accepted 7 were denied. I can resubmit on the 22nd. So my question is can I resubmit the 3 that were already accepted & work on 7 more, or should I come up with 10 new ones?

As always, thanks in advance!

PondofSadness.jpg

#10 Rick Hackley

Rick Hackley

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Lenses:Canon EFS 55-250mm
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II Prime
  • Flashes:Yongnou 560 III Pro
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS T4i

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hey Darryl congratulations! That's great. I've been reading this thread and its got me thinking on giving it a try. Will keep you post on my results. Thanks for sharing!
  • Darryl Walker likes this

#11 Darryl Walker

Darryl Walker

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAmarillo,Texas
    Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Extension Tubes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Rick,
Yeah go for it man!

PondofSadness.jpg

#12 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6, Sony 16-55mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:2 Yongnuo 600RT, Rovelight 600, AB800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, Sony a6000

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

You should let us know which ones were accepted, so we can compare to see what they were looking for.  Thanks!

#13 Darryl Walker

Darryl Walker

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAmarillo,Texas
    Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Extension Tubes

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

The Accepted Ones:

1st Stock Sub  078
1st Stock Sub  020
1st Stock Sub  081

• redcat likes this

PondofSadness.jpg

#14 Joe Baker

Joe Baker

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas
  • Lenses:Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm f/3.5-5.6, Sony 16-55mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:2 Yongnuo 600RT, Rovelight 600, AB800
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, Sony a6000

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Darryl, very cool!  Hopefully, you start making some cash quick!  Great Job!

• Damianek likes this

#15 Darryl Walker

Darryl Walker

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAmarillo,Texas
    Canon EF 70-300mm
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Extension Tubes

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

That would be cool, but I haven't  been accepted yet. They require you too have at least 7 of 10 from a single submission approved. I will resubmit on 9.22, but before hand I will post them so everyone can critique them before hand.

PondofSadness.jpg

#16 Anthony

Anthony

Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC
  • Lenses:Canon EF 100-400mm IS F4.5-5.6/L Mk 2, Tamron 150-600mm, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L, 40mm f/2.8. Sigman 50mm F/1.4 Art.
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN568EX II, Aperlite Y700C, Canon 600EX-RT
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 6D, 7Dm2, & 70D.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

I would definitely resubmit the 3 that were already accepted...then you need to come up with some other ones.

Good work and good luck!

#17 Shane Jay Hayes

Shane Jay Hayes

• Stunners
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL
  • Lenses:25mm, 14-42mm (M4/3), 40-150mm (M4/3), 50mm, 80-200mm, 18-55mm, 75-300mm.
  • Flashes:Bower,
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Pentax K-1000, Olympus E-PL1, Canon EOS Rebel T3

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Has anyone had much luck with Fotolia?  I have submitted stuff off and on but I always get the "similar images in our library" response.  Not sure I care too much because the stuff they are looking for is pretty soulless stock photography stuff that I have no desire to shoot.  

Just curious if anyone has had luck with them and if so if you could provide a sample image.

Shane Jay Hayes

http://www.123shoot.me

http://500px.com/ShaneJayHayes

#18 rwjones

rwjones

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida
  • Lenses:Panasonic 14-42 F/3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:None
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

That would be cool, but I haven't  been accepted yet. They require you too have at least 7 of 10 from a single submission approved. I will resubmit on 9.22, but before hand I will post them so everyone can critique them before hand.

Hey  Darryl,

I just joined the stunners and am exploring all these topics.  I am hoping you can give us an update on your adventures into stock photography.  How did things go?  Any surprises?  Are you still shooting stock?

Thanks,

#19 JestePhotography

JestePhotography

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationMosquitoville(lol), Alberta
  • Lenses:Nikon 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR
    Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM sport
    Nikon 105mm f2.8 AF-S VR IF ED
    Nikon 1.4, 1.7 and 2x TC
    Tripod: Manfrotto 055CXPRO3
    Gimbal Head: Jobu Designs BWG-HD3 Heavy Duty MKlll
  • Flashes:Yuongnuo 560lll
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D7000, Nikon D4S

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

I personally am not a big fan of stock photography sites. My own view is, they demand the very very best, because they have millions of images. They pay you pennies and do more harm to the industry than good. As I said though this is just my own opinion.

#20 rwjones

rwjones

• Stunners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida
  • Lenses:Panasonic 14-42 F/3.5-5.6
  • Flashes:None
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

I personally am not a big fan of stock photography sites. My own view is, they demand the very very best, because they have millions of images. They pay you pennies and do more harm to the industry than good. As I said though this is just my own opinion.

I've had my own experiences with stock agencies.  I don't want to poison the conversation here with a lot of negativity, but I agree with you somewhat.  In my working life, I was a construction cost estimator and later an analyst for real estate development.  I know how to account for everything in order to arrive at an accurate rate of return.  With stock photos you have to be very conscience of your time.  You absolutely can not try to send them artistic expression.  It just does not pay.

So the trick is to learn to take lots of clear, sharp, simple, themed photos.  This is where I am now.  I would really like to here more, from more experienced stock photographers, though.

RW

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stock Photography

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users