• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth-Holland, The Netherlands
  • Lenses:Nikon AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5500

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I have been snapping pictures for years now, but this year it got more serious since I bought my first DSLR. Since I am also new to this forum, I thought I'd give it a go and show you one of my first sunset pictures, which I shot yesterday. Shot in 3 exposures, blended in lightroom.

Any feedback that I can use for my next shot is very much appreciated.

Things I was wondering about in particular:

- What do you think of the tree branch in the upper left corner?

- Is the post-processing too overdone?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

• Reciprocityrules likes this

#2 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:25 AM

Welcome, I like the shot very much, the tree branch doesn't bother me (the rest of the shot is so good), I also do not think it's over done.  The large sheep at bottom right and the setting sun draws me in, the backlit edges of many of the sheep is really nice, very nice to wonder through, lots to see, also like the windmill!  Well done IMHO!

Doug

#3 John W

John W

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationMaryland - Eastern Shore
  • Lenses:Nikon 200-500 5.6
    Nikon 16-80 2.8-4
    Nikon 500mm f4E FL
    Nikon 50mm f1.8
    Nikon 1.4III extender
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D500
    Vangurad Actus Plus 283AT Tripod
    Feisol CT-3371 Rapid tripod
    Induro Git 404L series tripod
    Gitzo GM 4552L Monopod
    Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ball Head
    Wimberley WH-200
    Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal
    Induro GHB - 1 Gimbal

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

I agree with Doug. Really well done and I like it a lot. No nits here. How did you blend it in LR?

#4 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Mr Astrophotography!

• Stunners
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada
  • Lenses:Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 16-35 f4L IS, Tamron 35mm f1.8, Sigma 100-400 f5/6.3
  • Flashes:Yongnuo 560, 565 and 568.
  • Camera Body or Bodies:5D MkIII,

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

Welcome!  Without being there, it's difficult to say for sure because I don't know what's beyond the edge of the right frame, but I would have moved right a bit to remove the tree branches IF there isn't something to the right that makes it worst.

I like the processing and I like the more panoramic view.  I hope you post more!

David

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

#5 P Bender

P Bender

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,994 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
  • Lenses:EF 600 f 4.0L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 2.8L IS USM II
    EF 400 f 5.6L USM
    EF 28-300 f 3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200 f2.8L IS USM II
    EFS 18-135mm IS USM
    EF 16-35MM F 2.8L USM II
    EF Extender 1.4 iii
    EF Extender 2.0 iii
  • Flashes:Canon 580 EX ii speedlight
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon 5DsR
    Canon 7D Mark ii
    Canon 7D
    Van Guard 283 CT Tripod
    Induro Stealth CLT 403 Tripod
    4th generation Mongoose 3.6 Gimbal Head

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

Welcome Zjoef to our photography forum. Love your photo, and hope to see more of your work. I agree with David on the branch, but understand if it cannot be removed. The pp is well done, and there is a lot of details that make this image interesting!
Paul

Photos are a moment in time, that can only be captured once.

#6 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

It is a lovely picture, nicely composed.  Personally I would lose the branch and you could do that fairly easily in Ps.  

Warning: I am currently on a new learning kick so what I'm about to say reflects that.  I assume that when you say you took three exposures and blended them in Lr that you mean you processed them using the HDR mode in photo merge.  That's what it looks like.  In my opinion Lr HDR or any automatic HDR program is a blunt instrument.  It works but its not very subtle. Consider for example, in your photo - the trees in the background left and right are very muddy.  And that kind of muddiness is typical of automated HDR programs that make all sorts of compromises in blending the shots.  If you really want to get the best out of this photograph in all its high dynamic range glory you might consider learning digital blending and luminosity masking - essentially manual HDR.  With luminosity masking you can get very subtle blending through masking and you are making the choices instead of the program.  I say all this because that's what I'm working on myself.  I find it quite difficult to learn but I'm also seeing that as I practice it becomes clearer how it all works.  The results are ridiculously amazing.  It completely takes post processing to a new level.  I'm working with Jimmy McIntyre's tutorial course but there are others if you're interested and have the time.

#7 ZjoefBoef

ZjoefBoef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth-Holland, The Netherlands
  • Lenses:Nikon AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D5500

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

Thanks everyone. Your feedback is appreciated!

I agree with Doug. Really well done and I like it a lot. No nits here. How did you blend it in LR?

As Kerry Gordon mentioned, I just used the automatic HDR function in Lightroom to blend 3 exposures bracketed 2 stops apart.

Welcome!  Without being there, it's difficult to say for sure because I don't know what's beyond the edge of the right frame, but I would have moved right a bit to remove the tree branches IF there isn't something to the right that makes it worst.

I like the processing and I like the more panoramic view.  I hope you post more!

David

I think there was enough space to move to the right a bit. Actually, I put in the tree branch on purpose to add more depth. But I understand that the image may be more pleasing to most people with no 'distractions' like this. Something to keep in mind next time!

It is a lovely picture, nicely composed.  Personally I would lose the branch and you could do that fairly easily in Ps.  

Warning: I am currently on a new learning kick so what I'm about to say reflects that.  I assume that when you say you took three exposures and blended them in Lr that you mean you processed them using the HDR mode in photo merge.  That's what it looks like.  In my opinion Lr HDR or any automatic HDR program is a blunt instrument.  It works but its not very subtle. Consider for example, in your photo - the trees in the background left and right are very muddy.  And that kind of muddiness is typical of automated HDR programs that make all sorts of compromises in blending the shots.  If you really want to get the best out of this photograph in all its high dynamic range glory you might consider learning digital blending and luminosity masking - essentially manual HDR.  With luminosity masking you can get very subtle blending through masking and you are making the choices instead of the program.  I say all this because that's what I'm working on myself.  I find it quite difficult to learn but I'm also seeing that as I practice it becomes clearer how it all works.  The results are ridiculously amazing.  It completely takes post processing to a new level.  I'm working with Jimmy McIntyre's tutorial course but there are others if you're interested and have the time.

The automatic HDR function in lightroom is indeed what I used. Thanks for your remarks about the 'muddiness', I don't think that that's something I would have noticed myself. The technique your mentioning sounds difficult, but I like the suggestion and will look into it.

Edit: I found the tutorials you referred to.

#8 Kerry Gordon

Kerry Gordon

<3 SDP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Lenses:Rokinon 12mm f/2
    Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8
    Fujinon 35 mm f/2
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Fujifilm Xt-2
    TRIPOD:
    Sirui T-025X
    HEAD:
    Arca Swiss Monoball p0 with RRS Quick Release

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:39 PM

Edit: I found the tutorials you referred to.

Just to point out, those are the Youtube tutorials, which are worth looking at but if you decide you really want to get into it you'll probably want more comprehensive training.  Here are two very good courses.  The first is the aforementioned one by Jimmy McIntyre (it's the one I'm doing and boy does my head hurt!) - http://www.shutterev...lending-course/  and the second is by Sean Bagshaw, who is closely connected to Tony Kuyper one of the pioneers of this technique - http://www.outdoorexposurephoto.com/video-tutorials/the-complete-guide-to-luminosity-masks   I've been working away at this a couple of hours a day for the past week or more and feel like I'm just starting to get a handle on it.

#9 Roderick

Roderick

Master Photographer

• Stunners
  • 5,199 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Lenses:Centon 500mm f8.0 Mirror (!)
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG OS HSM A
    Tamron 150-600mm f5-6.3
    Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D750
    Sony NEX-6

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:30 AM

Lovely photo, Zjoef.

I like the water in the foreground, and of course the sheep. ;)

#10 geedee

geedee

Dedicated SDP Member

• Stunners
  • 3,746 posts
  • Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

I like this image a LOT and the tree branches add even more depth  for me, so I like their inclusion... I have no skills in PP so nothing to add on that, looking forward to seeing more of your pics... Thanks for posting.... Thought I saw  it flashing through at the end of C&T`s Wildlife show last week...?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: landscape, sheep, feedback, HDR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users