• Lenses:Nikon 16-35 VR f4 50mm f1.4 70-200 VR II f2.8 x2 converter
    18-70 f3.5-4.5DX (kit for D70s)
    Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3
    Cannon 50mm f1.8
  • Flashes:Nikon SB 910
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Cannon AE1
    Nikon D70S D800

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:40 AM

Friends who attended a wedding recently were like all other guests requested by the bride and groom not to take photographs during the ceremony (not on religious grounds)  It seems the photographer(s) were well kitted up to the extent that even drones were utilised at some stages of the event...  I have no idea if the photographer`s contract for the wedding controlled the guests in general however it seems my friends subsequently had no photographs of their time at the wedding which may eventually be advantageous to the photographer. 

I suspect the most important photographs taken at a wedding will be those that the bride and groom desire to have as a record of the event and who better to provide those than the event than professional photographer(s).... Sure I have like many folk been to a few weddings and taken lots of pics even one which the bride declared as her favourite of the day.... but I have also seen just how much extra pressure is placed on the professional photographer these days that EVERYONE including children have phone cameras and want to create their own record of events....Just thinking in type...(-:

• elcab18 likes this

#2 elcab18

elcab18

Master Photographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • Lenses:Nikon 12-24
    Nikon 16-35
    Nikon 50
    Nikon 24-85
    Nikon 70-200
    Nikon 105 micro
    Nikon 200-500 f 5.6
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN 568 EX
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610
    Nikon D500

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

My wife and I put disposable cameras on every dinner table at our wedding...knowing that at least we would have some insanely funny shots based on the knowledge of our friends and family.  I also knew we would have exceptional photos of our wedding from the professional photographer I hired to record our special day.  Of course that was 16 years ago and yeah cell phones were around but had very little capability.  

Today, I would suggest that the bride and groom make it clear to all of their guests on what they would like on their wedding day...and hope that everyone would honor their wishes...I know I would. 

• geedee likes this

#3 ebit

ebit

Super Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Lenses:Sigma Art 35mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8
    Canon 24-70mm L F2.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm L F2.8 IS II
    Fuji XF 16-55mm f2.8 LM WR
    Fuji XF 56mm F1.2 R
    Fuji XF 35mm f2 WR
    Fuji XF 50-140 LM OIS WR
    Fuji XF 1.4X TC
  • Flashes:Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT 2x
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Canon EOS 5D III
    Fuji X-T1
    Fuji X-T2
    Fuji X100T
    Sony RX-100

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:30 PM

I've been to over 10 weddings the past couple of years.  I'm at the stage of life where my friends are either getting married or having kids. In all but one wedding I brought my dslr rig.

Generally, I think its reasonable to request guests to refrain from photography during the ceremony.  Its short lived, very little room for error, and typically one of occasions that show a lot of genuine emotion.  I almost always see photographers use long telephoto lenses here during exchange of vows etc. to capture more candid type shots so its very easy for guests to get in the way.

The reception I think is unreasonable to ask guests to put away the camera.  I also want pictures of me, my friends and my wife enjoying the party all dressed up. 

I don't think the pressure is much on competing uncle bobs and iphoneographers, but from what I hear, its mostly from the demanding bride and groom, and the videographer who tends to get in the way most of the time.

And yes, on occasion, where I had the opportunity to whip out my gear, some of my photos were said to be better than the professional's work but I don't think that's a bad thing for the professional.  One photo captures one moment in time which can be a fluke or just good timing.  The professional is paid to document the day so consistency and ability to tell a story in a stylistic way through a series of photos is more important

• geedee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users