• Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-400
    Paul C. Buff Einstein Studio Lights
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

My photography business is in its infancy, and consists so far of some portrait work, commercial work, and a few events.  I've created a website and Facebook page, which I am updating fairly regularly.  Now I'm considering creating and emailing a newsletter on a bi-monthly basis using MailChimp.  The newsletter would go out to past clients, folks who have liked my Facebook page, and people who have expressed an interest in my work. I would also create a sign-up form on my website.  The content in each issue would include 1) a short, upbeat article, hopefully of interest to everyone, and 2) a special offer of some sort.  

Has anyone else used MailChimp or a similar service to create and send newsletters via email?  Does it lead to more business/bookings?  

Thanks for any input!

#2 willdog26

willdog26

Advanced Member

• Stunners
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Lenses:Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF
    Tamron AF 17-50 mm f/2.8 (IF)
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN468-II Speedlite
  • Camera Body or Bodies:NIKON D3
    NIKON D7100

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

I just set up my list via mail chimp on my website, FB page, and blog with the hopes it will grow so I can keep in contact with past clients and repeat clients. I also am using constant contact for my real 9-5 job and have seen a boost in sales and revenue from our monthly newsletters. All in all I'd say keep with it, as it grows you will be able to see the fruits, plus it's a great word of mouth tool as we'll so your followers will continue to share your site and work.

Good luck

website and portfolio (www.gooddogphotos.com)

Facebook Fan Page (www.facebook.com/gooddogphotography)

Twittley Tweet Twitter (www.twitter.com/gooddogphotos)

Instagram (http://instagram.com...dogphotography/)

#3 Billy

Billy

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC
  • Lenses:Sigma 19mm/2.8, Sigma 30mm/2.8, Panasonic 45-175mm, Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye
  • Flashes:Yongnuo YN560-III
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Panasonic G3, Olympus E-M10

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

A regular newsletter is a function of one of my employees in my day job as a marketing director, and I would say some items to keep in mind would be:

1. What's the goal(s) of your newsletter?  Boosted sales based on differentiation?  Boosted sales based on newsletter special offers (how much?)?

2. Make sure the newsletter content is providing value to the segment(s) you're sending it to, or it'll be deleted and seen as a nuisance even if they requested it.  For instance, you wouldn't want to put an article on what to wear for a portrait shoot and send it to your customer segment that's interested in real estate photography.

3. Consider the time and effort you'll need to put into a professional looking newsletter with good content, and what you expect the marginal increase in your sales to be.  How will you measure that?  Coupon codes specific to the newsletter would be one way, post-session surveys might be another.

OTOH, it might just be fun to do and see what happens! Seems like a reasonable idea to me - I'd just suggest putting some type of feedback in place so that you know you're getting a result for your expenditure in time and effort.

#4 Tracy Waitkus

Tracy Waitkus

Super Geek

• Stunners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationAvila Beach, California USA
  • Lenses:Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm 4.5/5.6
    Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS
  • Flashes:Nikon Speedlight SB-400
    Paul C. Buff Einstein Studio Lights
  • Camera Body or Bodies:Nikon D610

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Thank you Willdog and Billy....appreciate the input!  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users